[net.unix] anniversary

An important anniversary passed unnoted (at least, I didn't see any note
taken of it) a few months ago.  Ten-plus-epsilon years ago -- I don't
know the exact date offhand -- Unix was first officially released to the
world outside Bell.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology

cdl@mplvax.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) (03/19/85)

In article <5259@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>An important anniversary passed unnoted (at least, I didn't see any note
>taken of it) a few months ago.  Ten-plus-epsilon years ago -- I don't
>know the exact date offhand -- Unix was first officially released to the
>world outside Bell.

We (the Unisig) had a birthday party, with Dennis Ritchie in attendance,
at the Decus symposium in Anaheim, December 1984.  Door prizes included
sets of ancient manuals and a genuine Unix bug (potted in a plastic box).

More people should know about and participate in the UNISIG.  It offers
an opportunity to influence the Digital view of Unix, and something else
to do at Decus meetings.

(written as SIG librarian and generally knowledgable person)

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!cdl