[net.unix] The Blit

steven@boring.UUCP (03/26/85)

In article <1443@ukma.UUCP> sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
> As terminals, they are damned nice, allowing you to put 6k on the
> screen at once. Makes editing a real breeze. I'd like to fool around
> sometime and generate some neat fonts.
>
> As for disadvantages, the high persistence phosphors aren't good for
> animation, and the keyboard bounces (back to the radio shack days).

I have mixed feelings about the Blit:

The screen colour is very ugly, and I find it very tiring to look at for
long.

It scrolls the worst of any terminal I've ever used, I think: I have to look
away while it scrolls, it jumps so much. Scrolling is also very slow:
redrawing the screen is much faster.

It seems quite slow, compared with a Mac for example.

The basic ROM software has no character standout mode. What a pain.

Some control characters are in odd places on the keyboard. NUL is under the
comma, rather than the @ for instance.

Steven Pemberton, CWI, Amsterdam