[net.unix] Tip for cc or bcc into a file

dave@lsuc.UUCP (David Sherman) (03/19/85)

If you're using Berkeley Mail, and you want your cc to go into
a file rather than to a user (such as yourself, if all you'll do
then is save it in a file), put in the file name with a /, e.g.
	Cc: mail/joe
If you want it to go into a file in your current directory, use
	Cc: ./joe

All this is documented, but some people may not have known about it.

Dave Sherman
--
{utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs hcr}!lsuc!dave
{allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsri!lsuc!dave

mwherman@watcgl.UUCP (Michael W. Herman) (03/20/85)

> If you're using Berkeley Mail, and you want your cc to go into
> a file rather than to a user (such as yourself, if all you'll do
> then is save it in a file), put in the file name with a /, e.g.
> 	Cc: mail/joe

I use this quite a bit but have complained about the fact that the pathnames
are left in the outgoing mail msg.  If the recipient of such a msg replies
using mail's *reply* command, they also try to mail to a file of the
same pathname (unless they explicitly remove it from the Cc: line).

Do people think these pathnames should be stripped out of outgoing msgs
or left in?

p.s. I know I could use Bcc but I don't.

seifert@mako.UUCP (Snoopy) (03/23/85)

In article <1516@watcgl.UUCP> (Michael W. Herman) writes:
>> If you're using Berkeley Mail, and you want your cc to go into
>> a file rather than to a user (such as yourself, if all you'll do
>> then is save it in a file), put in the file name with a /, e.g.
>> 	Cc: mail/joe
>
>I use this quite a bit but have complained about the fact that the pathnames
>are left in the outgoing mail msg.  If the recipient of such a msg replies
>using mail's *reply* command, they also try to mail to a file of the
>same pathname (unless they explicitly remove it from the Cc: line).
>
>Do people think these pathnames should be stripped out of outgoing msgs
>or left in?
>
>p.s. I know I could use Bcc but I don't.

What about the environment variables $folder and $record ?  Also,
look up the 'F' command, as opposed to the 'R' command, and the
-F command line argument.

I definitely miss Berkeley Mail.  :-(  MH-Mail has *major* problems.
        _____
        |___|
       _|___|_               Snoopy
       \_____/          tektronix!mako!seifert
        \___/

If God had intended Man to Smoke, He would have set him on Fire.
                        -the fortune AI project

yoonkim@sun.uucp (Yoon Kim) (03/23/85)

> If you're using Berkeley Mail, and you want your cc to go into
> a file rather than to a user (such as yourself, if all you'll do
> then is save it in a file), put in the file name with a /, e.g.
> 	Cc: mail/joe
> If you want it to go into a file in your current directory, use
> 	Cc: ./joe
>
> All this is documented, but some people may not have known about it.
>
> Dave Sherman
> --
> {utzoo pesnta nrcaero utcs hcr}!lsuc!dave
> {allegra decvax ihnp4 linus}!utcsri!lsuc!dave

I would like to add the following also:

	~c +folder_name
or	~b +folder_name

This is very usefule when you are use to sending yourself a copy, rather
than using the record option.  You not only send yourself the copies of
needed letters, but also to the needed folders.  (In order this to work,
you must set the "folder" variable; and this is also documented.)
--
yOOn
{ihnp4|decvax}!sun!yoonkim

ptw@encore.UUCP (P. Tucker Withington) (04/05/85)

The following change (which might be considered a bug fix) will cause Mail to
treat all "file" recipients as "bcc:", i.e., their names will not appear on
outgoing mail, thus preventing the awkward situation of someone "replying" to a
file...

*** /tmp/,RCSt1002644	Fri Apr  5 15:28:29 1985
--- def.h	Fri Apr  5 13:47:35 1985
***************
*** 125,131
  #define	GSUBJECT 2		/* Likewise, Subject: line */
  #define	GCC	4		/* And the Cc: line */
  #define	GBCC	8		/* And also the Bcc: line */
! #define	GMASK	(GTO|GSUBJECT|GCC|GBCC)
  				/* Mask of places from whence */

  #define	GNL	16		/* Print blank line after */

--- 125,131 -----
  #define	GSUBJECT 2		/* Likewise, Subject: line */
  #define	GCC	4		/* And the Cc: line */
  #define	GBCC	8		/* And also the Bcc: line */
! #define	GMASK	(GTO|GSUBJECT|GCC|GBCC|GDEL)