[net.unix] How to get ">" symbol when referring to articles?

pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) (03/26/85)

Is there an elegant way to get the ">" symbol before articles when
referring to other people's postings? For example:

>This is an article posted by someone else
>They always seem to have that symbol
>at the far left.

Is this a special command, or do people just painstakingly
insert the > sign in front of mail read into the buffer?

Curious,
--
Steve Pearse
ihnp4!hound!pearse

> Is there an elegant way to get the ">" symbol before articles when
> referring to other people's postings?

Some of the news software (e.g., "postnews") does this automatically.
Also try
	1,$s/^/> /
or some appropriate modification of this.

jerryp@tektools.UUCP (Jerry Peek) (04/01/85)

In article <1026@hound.UUCP> pearse@hound.UUCP (S.PEARSE) writes:
> Is there an elegant way to get the ">" symbol before articles when
> referring to other people's postings? For example:
>
> >This is an article posted by someone else
> >They always seem to have that symbol
> >at the far left.

The obvious way is to use Larry Wall's "rn" program.  It does this
automagically when you use the R command.

If you don't have or use rn, but you are using the "vi" editor to edit your
posting, you can do a filter-through with "sed", the stream editor.  Put your
cursor at the first line of the reply and type:

	!Gsed 's/^/> /'

(the !G won't appear on your screen).

--Jerry Peek, UNIX Training Instructor, Tektronix, Inc.
US Mail:    MS 76-036, P.O. Box 500, Beaverton, OR 97077
uucp:       {allegra,decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,ucbvax}!tektronix!tektools!jerryp
CS,ARPAnet: jerryp%tektools@tektronix.csnet
Phone:      503/627-1603

jerryp@tektools.UUCP (Jerry Peek) (04/02/85)

In article <182@tektools.UUCP> jerryp@tektools.UUCP (Jerry Peek) writes:

> If you don't have or use rn, but you are using the "vi" editor to edit your
> posting, you can do a filter-through with "sed", the stream editor.  Put your
> cursor at the first line of the reply and type:
>
> 	!Gsed 's/^/> /'

Oops; how embarrassing.  I got mail reminding me that it's much more efficient
to do it directly in "vi":

	:.,$s/^/> /

but the *reason* I posted the reply still stands -- to demonstrate the "vi"
filter-through.  It works with any UNIX filter, not just "sed" -- using it gets
to be a habit!  Examples include "tr", "expand", "colrm", "cut", etc. etc...

--Jerry Peek
  tektronix!tektools!jerryp

fbp@cybvax0.UUCP (Rick Peralta) (04/04/85)

In article <9556@brl-tgr.ARPA> you write:
>> Is there an elegant way to get the ">" symbol before articles when
>> referring to other people's postings?
>
>Some of the news software (e.g., "postnews") does this automatically.
>Also try
>	1,$s/^/> /
>or some appropriate modification of this.

Try 'rn'.  It is usefull, powerfull, cheap and entertaining !
It was posted in net.sources a while ago.  It comes complete
with in's own installation show.

				     Rick
				...!cybvax0!fbp

ronbe@tekred.UUCP (Little Guy) (04/08/85)

> Is there an elegant way to get the ">" symbol before articles when
> referring to other people's postings?

In my case, using readnews (boo hiss), I have a little
csh program called quote that I use with vi:
#! /bin/csh
# Add something to the beginning of each line
sed -e "s/^/$1> /"
In vi, position the cursor over the first line to be
changed, then type !#Gquote x
The # is optional, and specifies an ending line number
to be changed.  The x is also optional, it is a
parameter to "quote".  If x were "--", I would have
--> lines like this.
Nothing will happen when you type !#, and when you type
the G, an "!" will appear at the bottom of the screen.
This is where you type "quote x".
--
Support bacteria - It's the only culture some people have!
	...tektronix!tekred!ronbe (Ron Bemis)