[net.unix] Public Domain EMACS available from GNU Project

wegrzyn@encore.UUCP (Chuck Wegrzyn) (03/20/85)

	The GNU project has released its first major subsystem,
	the EMACS editor. This editor is a sophisticated screen
	editor that is compatible and comparable with the EMACS
	editors being sold by UniPress and CCA. It comes with
	Mock Lisp ( did you know that UniPress trademarked MLISP??),
	and all the little bells and features most of us expect
	with EMACS.

	The GNU version of EMACS, written by Richard Stallman, is
	available for distribution. The distribution includes all
	source code for EMACS and a source code level debugger.
	Furthermore, under the GNU project banner, the EMACS system
	can be distributed (in source code form) by one and all.

	I was thinking of sending out the source code over the net,
	but resisted : it is over 1Mbyte of code. If there is
	enough demand, I will add a UUCP dial-in to our system, or
	send out tapes, or ... ?

	Is anyone interested in EMACS? If so, please tell me how
	you think I should distribute it?

			Chuck Wegrzyn
		{allegra,decvax,ihnp4,princeton}!encore!wegrzyn

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (03/21/85)

I personally believe the distribution of the GNU code in general to be
critical to its purpose and USENET an excellent vehicle for this.

I suggest that a newsgroup be formed, say net.sources.gnu, and advanced
warning be given to allow sites to unsubscribe it (appropiate warnings
that things may get large, I also assume most places would only need one
site at their institution picking it up and internally re-distributing.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

P.S. Brief note of general explanation: GNU ('G'nu is 'N'ot 'U'nix) is a
project conceived by Richard Stallman [EMACS author, aka RMS] to
re-write UNIX completely with the goal of putting the entire source into
the public domain. It is both valuable and highly credible, we should
all support it.

todd@bu-cs.UUCP (Todd Cooper) (03/22/85)

Let the net.sources.gnu begin --- EXCELLENT idea!!
--
---------------------------
Todd Cooper

UUCP:	...!harvard!bu-cs!todd
ARPA:	todd%bu-cs.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (03/23/85)

While GNU is a Good Thing, and Usenet is a good way to distribute it,
net.sources.gnu is not the right answer.

For one thing, there is only the one piece of code, the EMACS, that
is ready to go out.  My impression is that pieces of GNU will be
slow in coming and well separated.

For another thing, anything that is 1 MB is going to fill up half
the disks on Usenet if it's just posted ala net.sources.  It's going
to have to be put out a bit at a time.

I think that for GNU EMACS, mod.sources is the right place.

If there is going to be a steady flow of GNU, a moderated newsgroup
with one person responsible for putting it out at a pace that the
net can handle is probably a good idea.

	Mark

schoff@cadtroy.UUCP (Martin Lee Schoffstall) (03/25/85)

> I suggest that a newsgroup be formed, say net.sources.gnu, and advanced
> warning be given to allow sites to unsubscribe it (appropiate warnings
> that things may get large, I also assume most places would only need one
> site at their institution picking it up and internally re-distributing.)

	How about mod.souces.gnu?

marty
{wivax,bbncca,seismo}!ucadmus!schoff
schoff@cadmus.ARPA

schoff@cadtroy.UUCP (Martin Lee Schoffstall) (03/26/85)

> For one thing, there is only the one piece of code, the EMACS, that
> is ready to go out.  My impression is that pieces of GNU will be
> slow in coming and well separated.

I have seen a list of "completed" software, that had about 20 to
30 titles.

liang@cvl.UUCP (Eli Liang) (03/27/85)

> While GNU is a Good Thing, and Usenet is a good way to distribute it,
> net.sources.gnu is not the right answer.
>
> For one thing, there is only the one piece of code, the EMACS, that
> is ready to go out.  My impression is that pieces of GNU will be
> slow in coming and well separated.

Thats not exactly right.  There are plenty of things done in GNU.  Many
utilities and programs.  Just because rms only mentioned the public domain
emacs in the Dr. Dobb's article.....

-eli

Eli Liang  ---
        University of Maryland Computer Vision Lab, (301) 454-4526
        ARPA: liang@cvl, liang@lemuria, eli@mit-mc, eli@mit-prep
        CSNET: liang@cvl  UUCP: {seismo,allegra,brl-bmd}!umcp-cs!cvl!liang

kfl@hoxna.UUCP (Kenton Lee) (03/27/85)

I, for one, would not like seeing anything this massive posted to
the net.  Can you imagine the expense of shipping 1MB of data
between all net sites and of storing that 1MB on every sites disk,
even if the site is not interested (I expect that most sites will
not be interested).  I like the approach OK State uses for Kermit
distribution.  If you want to get the software, you call them up
(paying for the call) and download the stuff.  All that need be
posted to the net is a directory of files and uucp logon
information.
--
Kenton Lee
Bell Labs - WB

vip@philabs.UUCP (V. I. P.) (03/28/85)

Since I am new to the GNU discussion.  I, personally, would greatly
appreciate it if someone could post a listing of all the software
available from the GNU project.  There is obviously some confusion
as to the amount of software available and its degree of readiness
for circulation.  I think this is something that would be of interest
to everyone.

					Brian Day
UUCP:  philabs!exquisit!{brian, root}

dms@mit-hermes.ARPA (David M Siegel) (03/31/85)

I cannot image why people would not want GNU Emacs. It is by far the
best Emacs I have ever used; far better than one you could buy. It
is amazingly easy to add features to it. For example, a few of us
added a netnews reading mode to it (very similar to vnews) in one
weekend. The mail reading program is very similar to Babyl, and
probably one of the best you can get for a Unix system. All in all, it
is hard to beat.

-Dave
--
					Arpa:	dms@mit-hermes.arpa
					Usenet:	mit-eddie!mit-hermes!dms

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (04/01/85)

> I, for one, would not like seeing anything this massive posted to
> the net.  Can you imagine the expense of shipping 1MB of data
> between all net sites and of storing that 1MB on every sites disk,

It's not just 1 MB, it's a lot more. The version I got was 2.4 mb.
After I got rid of the .o files it was 2.2 mb. After compressing
(but you can't send that in mod.sources) it was .9 mb.
--
 Preverted word of the day: tribadism, to rub

 Phil Ngai (408) 749-5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.ARPA

jhull@spp2.UUCP (Jeff Hull) (04/03/85)

In article <907@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>It's not just 1 MB, it's a lot more. The version I got was 2.4 mb.
>After I got rid of the .o files it was 2.2 mb. After compressing
>(but you can't send that in mod.sources) it was .9 mb.

How about stripping all extraneous material (e.g., the .o files) out &
posting it in 64K pieces, say 2 per week?

--
 Blessed Be,

 Jeff Hull            {decvax,hplabs,ihnp4,scdrdcf,ucbvax}
 13817 Yukon Ave.         trwrb!trwspp!spp2!jhull
 Hawthorne, CA 90250

bwm@ccice2.UUCP (Brad Miller) (04/09/85)

In article <2347@mit-hermes.ARPA> dms@mit-hermes.ARPA (David M Siegel) writes:
>I cannot image why people would not want GNU Emacs. It is by far the
>best Emacs I have ever used; far better than one you could buy....
>-Dave

I have at least one complaint. It is HUGE. Sorry, but when my OS won't run it
because it only supports 1 meg processes, I start to wonder.

Also, I found several minor bugs trying to
get it up on a BIGendian machine running 4.2. Now it runs, but a lot of
commands don't work quite right -- example c-v scrolls to the next blank line,
or one line if there isn't one on the next page. Obscure! Unfortunately, at the
moment I don't have a symbolic debugger available, so finding the problem
will have to wait until I port one. I can't really blame the author, since he
only has one machine, but I think the technique used in unexec.c isn't very
portable, since it requires a process can read it's own user block.

Brad Miller
--
..[cbrma, ccivax, ccicpg, rayssd, ritcv, rlgvax, rochester]!ccice5!ccice2!bwm