[net.music] einstein on the beach

morris@Shasta.ARPA (05/14/85)

A few months back, someone mentioned that there was going to be a
performance of philip glass's `Einstein on the Beach' in LA this summer.
Does anyone out there know any more about this?  I have a friend
from Australia who will be in LA for part of the summer, and is
interested in attending.

Reply (by mail, preferably) to

 ...decvax!decwrl!shasta!morris

Thanks in advance, as the saying goes.

ellen@ucla-cs.UUCP (05/22/85)

Sorry to say, but, as far as I know, Glass has already performed in LA,
at the end of April, I believe (or was it the beginning of this month?)
His performance did include selections from "Einstein on the Beach,"
but I couldn't go, so I can't say how it was.  The particular music critic
the LA Times sent hated every minute and walked out half way through.
He/she (I don't know which) confessed to hating Glass before going.
Real wise choice on the part of the Times (heavy sarcasm).

The performance was on a Monday or Tuesday.  The following Saturday I did
go to see "Koyaanisqatsi" - beautiful (tho' manipulative of viewers) - and
the music shows that Glass is developing musically.

If "Einstein..." WERE playing, I'd like to go (I heard the whole thing on
KPFK (Pacifica Radio/ENTIRELY listener supported) shortly after it was first
performed).  I've heard that it is much too expensive to mount the whole
thing - and i don't think i'd want to sit through hours & hours of the music
alone - the visuals seem so inspired (i've seen stills & a few brief video
taped excerpts).  Also, i doubt that there would be much of an audience,
to justify the cost, anywhere outside of New York City, here in the US.
I've heard that this type of music is much better received in Europe than
it is here.

C'est la musique!

ellen perlman

cuccia@ucbvax.ARPA (Nick "Coosh" Cuccia) (05/26/85)

In article <5608@ucla-cs.ARPA> ellen@ucla-cs.UUCP (Ellen Perlman) writes:

>Sorry to say, but, as far as I know, Glass has already performed in LA,
 [...]
>the LA Times sent hated every minute and walked out half way through.
>He/she (I don't know which) confessed to hating Glass before going.
>Real wise choice on the part of the Times (heavy sarcasm).

Some friends of mine and I heard the Philip Glass Ensemble's performance
in Davies Hall (SF Symphony Hall) and thoroughly enjoyed it.  Songs from
_Einstein_, _Koyaanisqatsi_, _Glassworks_, and the Olympic Fanfare were
performed on synthesizers and brass/wind instruments.  Robert Commanday's
review in the Chronicle the next day were perhaps the most negative
that I had seen in a long time.  The problem is that they weren't so
much a bad review of the performance; they were more critical of the
whole idea of minimaliasm than anything else...

>C'est la musique!
>
>ellen perlman

Why do most recordings of Beethoven's Ninth sound like MMOs with the
  Choral tenor part missing?				----
						       /\   \
--Nick "Coosh" Cuccia				      /  \   \
--{...}!ucbvax!cuccia  		(USENET)	     /   /\   \
--cuccia%ucbmiro@Berkeley	(Arpanet)	    /___/  \___\