[net.unix] Compatibility mode for VAX 4.2 BSD

horst@leadsv.UUCP (John Selhorst) (05/23/85)

I have some programs that, I have been told (by the vendor), will run on
4.2BSD on a VAX in PDP-11 compatibility mode. The vendor says that there
is a utility called compat that I need. I need some quick answers and
our guru is on vacation. Here are my questions:

   1) Is it possible to use compatibilty mode on a VAX without severely
      hampering other users? I thought that compatibility mode was system-
      wide (ie. everybody is running in compatibility mode) and that is
      unacceptable.

   2) What is compat and where can I get it and does it run on 4.2BSD?

   3) If I am using compat, what does it look like (maybe a PDP-11 running
      4.2BSD)?

I apologize if these questions seem naive. Any replies, including flames,
will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

John Selhorst

 {(ucbvax!dual!sun) (ihnp4!qubix)}!sunncal!leadsv!horst
 {allegra ihnp4 dual}!fortune!amdcad!cae780!leadsv!horst

VAX and PDP-11 are probably trademarks of Digital Equipment Corp.

dave@uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) (05/26/85)

>    1) Is it possible to use compatibilty mode on a VAX without severely
>       hampering other users? I thought that compatibility mode was system-
>       wide (ie. everybody is running in compatibility mode) and that is
>       unacceptable.

No.  When you run in compatability mode, all compatability-mode system calls
cause 5 context switches instead of 2 as the system calls are emulated by
the compat (often called v7run) program.  If a number of people are using
the compat programs at the same time, your system will bog down.  The
system-wide compatability is 4.1 compatability which is not necessary to
use Pdp-11 compatability.

>    2) What is compat and where can I get it and does it run on 4.2BSD?

You should find the source in /usr/src/games/compat.  Note that there are
a couple bugs in this code which cause SIGILL to be handled incorrectly.

>    3) If I am using compat, what does it look like (maybe a PDP-11 running
>       4.2BSD)?

V7run (compat) emulates version 7 execution.  2.8 and 2.9 executables also
work, at least they do for system calls that are also on version 7.

--
dave cohrs
...!{allegra,harvard,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!dave

    (bug?  what bug?  that's a feature!)

mjl@ritcv.UUCP (Mike Lutz) (05/29/85)

In article <203@uwvax.UUCP> dave@uwvax.UUCP (Dave Cohrs) writes:

>V7run (compat) emulates version 7 execution.  2.8 and 2.9 executables also
>work, at least they do for system calls that are also on version 7.

Two caveats: separate I&D programs cannot be run under compat, and some
of the older versions did not emulate floating point (or handled
it incorrectly).
--
Mike Lutz	Rochester Institute of Technology, Rochester NY
UUCP:		{allegra,seismo}!rochester!ritcv!mjl