[net.unix] AT&T 3B-2's

darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) (04/03/85)

     We here at UCSD have recently received a  large  number
of  AT&T 3B-2's.  In their benevolent wisdom, AT&T chose not
to disclose anything about the assembly language  or  archi-
tecture of these machines.

     The great thing about this whole  mess  is  that  I  am
scheduled  to teach assembly language on these beasties this
summer.   Is   there   anyone   out   there   who   has   an
assembler/architecture manual for these machines?  I've read
the IS25 document for the 3B-20's, which I am told are simi-
lar,  but  it does not provide enough information to teach a
class.

Thanks, DL

--
Darrell Long
University of California, San Diego

USENET: sdcsvax!darrell
ARPA:   darrell@sdcsvax

brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) (04/04/85)

>      We here at UCSD have recently received a  large  number
> of  AT&T 3B-2's.  In their benevolent wisdom, AT&T chose not
> to disclose anything about the assembly language  or  archi-
> tecture of these machines.

I love it!  The ultimate hint on the use of assembler as a programming lingo!

>      We here at UCSD have recently received a  large  number
> of  AT&T 3B-2's.  In their benevolent wisdom, AT&T chose not
> to disclose anything about the assembly language  or  archi-
> tecture of these machines.

So go out and buy a bunch of DMD software manuals.
It's the same basic processor, and the DMD book describes it.

cdl@mplvax.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) (04/08/85)

In article <490@lll-crg.ARPA> brooks@lll-crg.ARPA (Eugene D. Brooks III) writes:
>>      We here at UCSD have recently received a  large  number
>> of  AT&T 3B-2's.  In their benevolent wisdom, AT&T chose not
>> to disclose anything about the assembly language  or  archi-
>> tecture of these machines.
>
>I love it!  The ultimate hint on the use of assembler as a programming lingo!

You misunderstand the situation.  The major purpose of this "gift" from
AT&T is to support the education of students in a computer internals course.
Presumably, a secondary purpose is to leave these same students with the
feeling "gee, AT&T sure makes neat computers."

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!cdl

darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) (05/04/85)

*** REPLACE AT&T's MARKETING STAFF ***

	Well, here is a short summary of what I learned in my quest for
3B-2 lore.

1. The only public document that describes the processor in any detail
   is the 5620 ``BLIT'' manual.  This is the manual for the bit-mapped
   display, not the 3B-2, so all things are not applicable.

2. Internal documents do exist which describe, in great detail, all
   that one would care to know about the WE-3200x processor module.
   These documents have ``proprietary'' stamped all over them, and
   so are of no use to students (since I can't Xerox them or in any
   way get copies to my students).

	A wise friend of mine once said that if AT&T ever hopes to be
the giant in the computer industry that it hopes to be, that it would
do well to buy IBM's marketing department.  Now, I see that my friend
is probably right.
--
Darrell Long
University of California, San Diego

USENET: sdcsvax!darrell
ARPA:   darrell@sdcsvax

nrf@whuxlm.UUCP (Fildes N R) (05/07/85)

Now that AT&T is selling the 32000 series to the real world, a volume
on the internals of the whole line is available to the public. It describes
the instruction set and the details of the whole chip set (cpu, mmu, fpu, etc)

ped@mtuxo.UUCP (p.davidson) (05/07/85)

REFERENCES:  <843@sdcsvax.UUCP>, <759@whuxlm.UUCP>

	Where can we get the volume on the internals and
instruction set now that the 32000 is available to the public ???

wapd@houxj.UUCP (Bill Dietrich) (05/07/85)

To get data sheets on the WE 32000 processor in the 3B-2/300,
I think you are supposed to call (800) 372-2447.

				Bill Dietrich
				houxj!wapd

sambo@ukma.UUCP (Inventor of micro-S) (05/08/85)

In article <759@whuxlm.UUCP>, nrf@whuxlm.UUCP (Fildes N R) writes:
> Now that AT&T is selling the 32000 series to the real world, a volume
> on the internals of the whole line is available to the public.

     So how can one go about getting this information?

david@ukma.UUCP (David Herron, NPR Lover) (05/08/85)

In article <759@whuxlm.UUCP>, nrf@whuxlm.UUCP (Fildes N R) writes:
> Now that AT&T is selling the 32000 series to the real world, a volume
> on the internals of the whole line is available to the public. It describes
> the instruction set and the details of the whole chip set (cpu, mmu, fpu, etc)
Oh, really?   How come, then, our AT&T rep doesn't know how to get it?
(We *have* asked)

Can you tell us order numbers or anything else?
--
--- David Herron
--- ARPA-> ukma!david<@ANL-MCS> or david%ukma.uucp@anl-mcs.arpa

	"The home of poly-unsaturated thinking".

nrf@whuxlm.UUCP (Fildes N R) (05/08/85)

> REFERENCES:  <843@sdcsvax.UUCP>, <759@whuxlm.UUCP>
>
> 	Where can we get the volume on the internals and
> instruction set now that the 32000 is available to the public ???

From 'UNIX(tm) Microsystem - WE(r) 32100 Microprocessor Manual':

	For additional information contact your Sales Account Representative
	or call:

	* Commercial Sales: 1-800-372-2447
	* AT&T and Associated Company sales: (215)770-3204 (CORNET)8-624-3204

	To obtain additional copies of this manual, Select Code 451-000, call:

	* 1-800-432-6600

wfmans@ihuxb.UUCP (w. mansfield) (05/08/85)

> *** REPLACE AT&T's MARKETING STAFF ***
>
> 	A wise friend of mine once said that if AT&T ever hopes to be
> the giant in the computer industry that it hopes to be, that it would
> do well to buy IBM's marketing department.  Now, I see that my friend
> is probably right.
> --
> Darrell Long
> Department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science
> University of California, San Diego

Umm..  It may interest you to know that Jim Edwards, the AT&T Computer
Systems President, formerly of IBM marketing, just hired Roland Pampel,
formerly of IBM marketing, to be the VP of Computer Systems Marketing
and Development.  Can't comment on the rest of the staff, but start at
the top if you want to change direction.

	Bill Mansfield
	AT&T Information Systems, Naperville, IL
	{ihnp4!}ihuxb!wfmans
--

wcs@ho95b.UUCP (Bill Stewart) (05/09/85)

> To get data sheets on the WE 32000 processor in the 3B-2/300,
> I think you are supposed to call (800) 372-2447.
> 				Bill Dietrich
> 				houxj!wapd

Actually, we just announced the 32100 series, which is the successor to the
32000 series.  The early 3B2s used the 32000; I think some of the later
3B2/300s used the 32100.  Certainly anything new will use it.
The 32100 series, by the way, includes a floating point chip, which takes
care of the main performance lose in the 3B2 (good software has done half
that job, though.)

There have been some comments recently about FFTs, and how it probably
wouldn't make sense to build a special-purpose machine to do them.  We have a
chip called the DSP-32 Digital Signal Processor, which is designed for
fast repetitive floating point calculations (4 or 8 MFLOPS, depending on what
you count).  Basically it's designed for doing FFTs and similar signal
processing for communications equipment.  I think we sell them?

I don't do chips, but the phone number above is probably the right people to
call for 32100 documentation.
		Bill

Disclaimer: Sorry if this is too commercial, but it seemed germane to the
discussion.
--
			Bill Stewart	1-201-949-0705
			AT&T Bell Labs, Room 4K-435, Holmdel NJ

rosalia@reed.UUCP (Mark Galassi) (06/01/85)

In article <843@sdcsvax.UUCP> darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) writes:
>*** REPLACE AT&T's MARKETING STAFF ***
>
>	A wise friend of mine once said that if AT&T ever hopes to be
>the giant in the computer industry that it hopes to be, that it would
>do well to buy IBM's marketing department.  Now, I see that my friend
>is probably right.
>--
>Darrell Long
>USENET: sdcsvax!darrell
Yes, it might become a "giant" in the computer industry, but it
would produce bad computers (like IBM micros). I have much more
respect for AT&T than IBM, and this is probably due to AT&T's lack
of an opressive marketing department.
				Mark Galassi
				...tektronix!reed!rosalia
{These opinions are my own and should be everybody elses :-) }

> ... I have much more
> respect for AT&T than IBM, and this is probably due to AT&T's lack
> of an opressive marketing department.

AT&T is then faced with the interesting choice of having a marketing
department that is either competent but oppressive, or incompetent but
inoffensive (except to people who actually want to buy AT&T products,
and are trying to get information on them).
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology