[net.unix] AT&T Toolchest

Doug Gwyn (VLD/VMB) <gwyn@Brl-Vld.ARPA> (01/14/85)

Would someone from AT&T please explain the Toolchest
and also let us know why we have to find out about it
secondhand?  Some marketing you guys have.

sdf@whuxlm.UUCP (Felts Steve) (01/18/85)

Since I am a provider of one of the tools in the Toolchest, maybe
I can fill you in on what it is.
The toolchest is a new distribution channel for AT&T.
Their main goal is to make some money without much staffing and "no hassles."
This means that:
 1. the software is unsupported
 2. there is a "lump sum" arrangement - no royalties.

Here's the key facts:
1.  Source code is provided
2.  All source runs on System V (I know that some of tools run on a
                                 wide variety of UNIX versions including BSD)
3.  AT&T selected well used and liked tools from its development community
    (using a 6 page screening form and some type of review board)
4.  Toolchest is running on an AT&T 3B2
5.  Dial 201-522-6900   login: guest
6.  System is menu driven (and somewhat slow)
7.  Once inside, you can browse through list of software, get more
    information on a specific tool and product specs, etc.
8.  You need to get "licensing authority" before getting any software -
    a single umbrella agreement for as many tools as you want.  Costs $100
    to register.
9.  You request software - software is sent via uucp and an invoice
    is sent by mail.
10. There are two prices:  initial price gets you one source copy for
    internal use and grants you right to distribute copies internally on as
    many processors as you wish.
    Sublicensing - "lump sum" arrangement - one fee per package and an
    acknowledgement of source in promotion and you can offer binary copies
    commercially.  No royalties!
11. No technical support - offered "as is."
12. More info on Toolchest - contact AT&T Account Rep - 1-800-828-UNIX

These are the tools available when I last looked:
name             category               description
----             --------               -----------
bptap            programming            background process term access pkg
conv-dt          programming aid        date conversion
datebook         office automation      maintain per. appointment calendar
emacs-tc         editor                 full screen editor, split screen
fastdd           file utility           faster "dd" command
file-util1       file utility           extract lines; extr. ascii lines
fmail            office automation      full screen interface to std mail
ncsl             programming            count non-commentary src lines
qbus-tc          driver                 ibv 488 interface driver
sh-pgmg1         programming aid        set of useful shell prog. tools
slog             programming aid        flexible src level logging facility
teco-tc          editor                 popular DEC teco editor for UNIX
unity-tc         database               relation db for simple files

As an example of pricing, the unity-tc database system
costs $1250 for source and $10,000 for binary license.
Included is 133 page user manual and 16K of source.

The Toolchest system became available Jan. 2, although my
original understanding was that Jan. 2 is availability only
to VARS and Mar. 1 available to the world.

                                  Steve Felts
                                  whuxlm!sdf
                                  (201)3866416
                                  AT&T Bell Labs

eric@osiris.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (05/23/85)

	After hearing about the new AT&T Toolchest, I rushed to log in,
and check out what was there. Some of it did look interesting, so I
tried to sign up. That was several (>4) months ago, and the promised
licensing package has not shown up. I logged in again about a month ago,
and sure enough, it still knew that I had applied. I left a message, but
have not had any response from that, either. Has anyone successfully
enrolled to use the Toolchest?

--

					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!osiris!eric

Does anyone know how to log in to the UNIX System ToolChest
	(a)  without sending a BREAK, or
	(b)  using Vadic 1200 baud protocol rather than 212A?

hart@cp1.UUCP (Rod Hart) (05/25/85)

Well Eric, you were not dropped and that better treatment than I
received. I understand we are still taking care of some post divorce
issues and that is why we have not been allowed to subscribe. But
they dropped my logon. That just about killed my interest. Some of
my people are still interested, but I will have to see what it is
all about later. We probably have rights to some of the stuff anyhow.
If anyone is successful in subscribing let me know what you think.

Signed by:
  Rod Hart (WA3MEZ)
  Minicomputer Technical Support District
  Chesapeake & Potomac Tel. Co.
  A Bell Atlantic Company
  Silver Spring, Md.
  sabre!cp1!hart - gamma!cp1!hart - umcp-cs!cp1!hart - aplvax!cp1!hart

nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) (05/26/85)

> Well Eric, you were not dropped and that's better treatment than I
> received.
> If anyone is successful in subscribing let me know what you think.
>   Rod Hart (WA3MEZ)

We tried to subscribe but without success ... they promised forms etc.
that never came; no followup, just an overwhelming silence.  We wanted to
buy the Korn shell, but were unable to do so.

Is this any way to run a railroad?  (And you know what happened to the
railroads ...)
--
Ed Nather
Astronony Dept, U of Texas @ Austin

naftoli@aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger) (05/28/85)

> 	After hearing about the new AT&T Toolchest, I rushed to log in,
> and check out what was there. Some of it did look interesting, so I
> tried to sign up. That was several (>4) months ago, and the promised
> licensing package has not shown up. I logged in again about a month ago,
> and sure enough, it still knew that I had applied. I left a message, but
> have not had any response from that, either. Has anyone successfully
> enrolled to use the Toolchest?

I have been succesful, and received and executed the license agreement.
At first, I had also waited a long time (month and 1/2) and then decided
to send them a letter (using #9 of the menu).  I got a call the next day
and the problem was straightened out.

We have already purchased some software, and I was extremely impressed when
I ordered the software at 4pm and then 9 the next morning, it was all sitting
there waiting for me.

The software that I have received, (ksh, FASTdd, and some others)
works fine, and was easy to integrate.

I think that the Toolchest is great, and I hope they continue to add software
to the list.
--
Robert Berlinger
...{philabs,cucard,pegasus,ihnp4,rocky2}!aecom!naftoli

pv@uscvax.UUCP (Peter Vanderbilt) (05/30/85)

In article <145@utastro.UUCP> nather@utastro.UUCP (Ed Nather) writes:
>that never came; no followup, just an overwhelming silence.  We wanted to
>buy the Korn shell, but were unable to do so.

Try calling Marilyn Perry , AT&T Software Sales, at 919-279-6783.  She seems
helpful although, for other reasons, we have not received our forms.

Pete
--
Peter Vanderbilt
  uucp:  ...!{{decvax,ucbvax}!sdcsvax,hplabs,allegra,trwrb}!sdcrdcf!uscvax!pv

eric@osiris.UUCP (Eric Bergan) (05/30/85)

	Since my initial posting, a number of things have been uncovered.
First, AT&T did send me a license agreement back in April, but it never
arrived - chalk one up to the US Mail. Second, I learned that the University
is trying to set up a University wide license, to try and avoid the
various University Unix sites from all ordering ksh seperately. Third,
I received a call from the product manager of Toolchest, who was very
helpful in determining the sequence of events. The bottom line is that
we are now going to try and co-ordinate Toolchest membership with the
University as a whole.

--

					eric
					...!seismo!umcp-cs!aplvax!osiris!eric

dwight@timeinc.UUCP (Dwight Ernest) (06/04/85)

We have at least received the signup contract for the Toolchest
after our initial request, although we have not yet completed
it (nor, obviously, submitted it). It came rather promptly,
about a month ago.
		--Dwight Ernest	KA2CNN	\ Usenet:...vax135!timeinc!dwight
		  Time Inc. Edit./Prod. Tech. Grp., New York City
		  Voice: (212) 554-5061 \ Compuserve: 70210,523
		  Telemail: DERNEST/TIMECOMDIV/TIMEINC \ MCI: DERNEST
"The opinions expressed above are those of the writer and do not necessarily
 reflect the opinions of Time Incorporated."