[net.unix] nonsense names

mac@uvacs.UUCP (Alex Colvin) (05/23/85)

Some of us use the name ZQX3 and variants when a meaningless name is needed.

Legend has it that this practice stems (by way of Lou Fernandez) from an old
book which advises the programmer to avoid meaningless or obscure names (e.g.
ZQX3, after a cabdriver named Zarathustra Q.  Xerxes III).  Since then, a number
of people have insinuated this name into every program they've touched.

Ths does point out an annoying feature of UN*X -- the lack of an anonymous
current file, which forces the invention of a lot of names for intermediate
files.  Pipes help, but sometimes you need to see intermediate stages before
they disappear.

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (05/26/85)

> Ths does point out an annoying feature of UN*X -- the lack of an anonymous
> current file, which forces the invention of a lot of names for intermediate
> files.  Pipes help, but sometimes you need to see intermediate stages before
> they disappear.

1) If you have a need for more than one current file, how do you keep them
straight when they're anonymous?

2) If you need to see the intermediate stages, how are you going to do that
if the file is anonymous?

I've never really felt the need for anonymous files in UNIX.

	Guy Harris

jdb@mtunf.UUCP (John Bell) (06/05/85)

In article <2123@uvacs.UUCP> mac@uvacs.UUCP (Alex Colvin) writes:
>Ths does point out an annoying feature of UN*X -- the lack of an anonymous
>current file, which forces the invention of a lot of names for intermediate
>files.  Pipes help, but sometimes you need to see intermediate stages before
>they disappear.

I thought that is what "mktemp(3C)", "tmpfile(3S)", and "tmpnam(3S)" were
all about.  (I admit that I'm new to SysV, and haven't tried any of them
yet, but you can always hack up something with "getpid(2)", "sprintf(3S)",
and "fopen(3S)" if you don't have "mktemp" or it doesn't work.)

--
    John D. Bell,  AT&T-ISL		Holmdel, NJ   1J317   (201) 834-3372