[net.unix] Compressing man pages

omsi@reed.UUCP (OMSI) (06/05/85)

Anyone consider keeping man and cat pages in compressed form?  As they hog about
6 Meg or more on most systems, an additional 2-3 meg free might be very welcome
by many.  Seems like it might take a little bit of an effort but be well worth
it for small systems.  Anyway, just a thought.

	Bob Ankeney  tektronix!reed!omsi

steven@luke.UUCP (06/08/85)

In article <1607@reed.UUCP> omsi@reed.UUCP (OMSI) writes:
>Anyone consider keeping man and cat pages in compressed form?  As they hog about
>6 Meg or more on most systems, an additional 2-3 meg free might be very welcome
>by many.  Seems like it might take a little bit of an effort but be well worth
>it for small systems.  Anyway, just a thought.
>
>	Bob Ankeney  tektronix!reed!omsi

I think this is an excellent suggestion!  I wish I had thought of it
first.  We normally remove all of the online manual, due to space
constraints.  However by compressing or `pack'ing that stuff, it would
be available.  It might then be easy enough to pcat or uncompress it or
something through nroff.

Thanks for the suggestion Bob - if we do anything about it, I'll let you
know.
--
***
*  Steven List @ Benetics Corporation  *  (415) 940-6300