[net.unix] 4.3BSD??? When?

chris@nrcvax.UUCP (Chris Grevstad x310) (05/16/85)

.

Any information on 4.3BSD, like when and what?  Is it mostly bug fixes or
major enhancements or a total rewrite?  What is it reported to do?

I keep reading and hearing little tidbits about it and I would like to hear
the full scoop.

--
	Chris Grevstad
	{sdcsvax,hplabs}!sdcrdcf!psivax!nrcvax!chris

	Life is difficult for the organizationally impaired.

pete@ecrcvax.UUCP (Pete Delaney) (05/25/85)

Sounds like a lot of us would like to know a little about what going on in
4.3BSD?  Why does it have to be keep so quiet?

	Is it just a few BUG FIXES?  (I doubt it)
	Is it distributed is SCCS or RCS format?
	Any new Address Families?
	Rough expected release date? 1 week or 1 year?
	.
	.
	.

Pete Delaney - Rocky Mnt. Unix Consultant	Phone: (49) 89 92699-139
European Computer-Industry Research Center 	UUCP: mcvax!unido!ecrcvax!pete
ArabellaStrasse 17 				UUCP Domain: pete@ecrcvax.UUCP
D-8000 Muenchen 81, West Germany 		X25: (262)-45890040262
CSNET:pete%ecrcvax.UUCP@Germany.CSNET		     Login: <to be provided?>

> Sounds like a lot of us would like to know a little about what going on in
> 4.3BSD?  Why does it have to be keep so quiet?

Because!

>	Is it just a few BUG FIXES?  (I doubt it)

Leave out the just, and change few to many.

>	Is it distributed is SCCS or RCS format?

I severely doubt it.  (Berkeley uses SCCS internally, and has been using
it for quite a while; if 4.2 wasn't SCCSed, why would 4.3 be?)

>	Any new Address Families?

We're hoping it'll have (our) XNS in it.  Then again we haven't been helping
any lately...

>	Rough expected release date? 1 week or 1 year?

How should I know?  ``Soon.''  I'll bet more info will leak out in Portland.
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

anton@ucbvax.ARPA (Jeff Anton) (06/09/85)

In article <6214@umcp-cs.UUCP> chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (Chris Torek) writes:
>> Sounds like a lot of us would like to know a little about what going on in
>> 4.3BSD?  Why does it have to be keep so quiet?
>
>Because!
>
>>	Is it just a few BUG FIXES?  (I doubt it)
>
>Leave out the just, and change few to many.
Well, I've often argued with people here as to what constitutes a
bug.  Certainly most complex software can be arranged in strange
configurations and cause wierd problems.  But who really
cares if ex/vi will not undo a ':0r filename' correctly?
I believe most known bugs will be fixed since so many
bugs I hear about are not repeatable.  As for "just,"
If you don't wan't cached inode lookup, better string routines,
lookup files being hashed, more file descriptors (This actally
caused some problems for me), and many things I can't
remember at the moment (or don't know about) you can keep
your system and fix all the bugs yourself. (If you know them all)

>>	Is it distributed is SCCS or RCS format?
>
>I severely doubt it.  (Berkeley uses SCCS internally, and has been using
>it for quite a while; if 4.2 wasn't SCCSed, why would 4.3 be?)
A 4.2 licence did not include the SCCS commands so why ship that
stuff also? (So changes are apparent) ((Do you want your stupid
mistakes published or wild ideas that would change the system as we
know it released prematurly?))

>>	Any new Address Families?
>
>We're hoping it'll have (our) XNS in it.  Then again we haven't been helping
>any lately...
Sorry, what was that?  Doesn't Maryland have a distribution?
I've picked up my share of usefull, though slitely buggy, software
from them.  I'm sure that this 'XNS' is copyright Univ. of Maryland.
We have this very annoying rule here that software developed on
U.C. machines is owned by the Regents.  (Lawyers, more Lawyers)

>>	Rough expected release date? 1 week or 1 year?
>
>How should I know?  ``Soon.''  I'll bet more info will leak out in Portland.
Since some of the machines here now say 4.3 BSD in /etc/motd I suspect
that the legal mumbo-jumbo has the biggest effect on this.
>--
>In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 4251)
>UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
>CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

If you don't have any answers, you should not try.
I'm not part of CSRG so I nothing a say here should in anyway
be considered as any sort of proof or contract.  I just had
to speak up against this individual who wishes to stir the waters.
BSD is not built by dozens of grad students but by a few who
have other work to attend to as well.  They havn't the time to
and deal with so many things beyond their own studies.
A University is a fluid thing that can not be relied on for
preservation of things behind the time.  (At least not in C. S.)
--
C knows no bounds.
					Jeff Anton