[net.unix] ARPANET and anonymous ftp, etc...

mike@peregrine.UUCP (Mike Wexler) (06/06/85)

I am a user of a Sun 2-120 running Unix 4.2BSD.
How do I get files that are list as being available for
anonymous ftp of Arpanet sites?  Is there any way of sending mail
to Arpanet sites without putting a backslash before the at sign.
When I do replies to articles posted by someone on the Arpanet,
sendmail tells be that it doesn't know about the host that the mail comes
from.  If I manually retype the address and put a backslash before it
I can send it through fine.

								mike(trwrb!pertec!peregrine!mike)

p.s.: Don't tell me to ask my systems adminstrator, because I AM the system
adminstrator.

eric@grkermi.UUCP (06/11/85)

In article <118@peregrine.UUCP> mike@peregrine.UUCP (Mike Wexler) writes:
>I am a user of a Sun 2-120 running Unix 4.2BSD.
>How do I get files that are list as being available for
>anonymous ftp of Arpanet sites?  Is there any way of sending mail
>to Arpanet sites without putting a backslash before the at sign.
>When I do replies to articles posted by someone on the Arpanet,
>sendmail tells be that it doesn't know about the host that the mail comes
>from.  If I manually retype the address and put a backslash before it
>I can send it through fine.
>
>								mike(trwrb!pertec!peregrine!mike)
>
>p.s.: Don't tell me to ask my systems adminstrator, because I AM the system
>adminstrator.

What they mean when they say they are available for anonymous ftp is that if
you were on the arpanet, you could connect to their system and fetch the
files without logging in.  Since you apparently are not on the arpanet, there
is no automatic way of getting the files.  Your best bet is to send a mail
message to someone asking them to send it to you...

This brings up your other problem:  Sending mail to the arpanet from usenet.
To do that, you must find a machine that is on both nets, that communicates
with you, and that is willing to do the forwarding.  I can't give you the
name of one, but given the name of one being 'foo', and the arpa address
you want is 'bar@baz', the path would be  {...}foo!bar@baz.ARPA.

If you have specific files in mind and they're not EXTREMELY long, I'll be
glad to get them for you (I have an account on an ARPA host).  Send mail...

				-Eric Starkman
		UUCP: ...decvax!genrad!grkermit!eric
		ARPA: starkman@mit-charon.ARPA