[net.unix] data bases such as /etc/passwd

tecot@cmu-cs-k.ARPA (Edward Tecot) (06/11/85)

I am working on a program which will have a data base similar to /etc/passwd
or /etc/inittab.  Are there any libraries which support these type of files?
Specifically, I would like to be able to search for a record based on a
certain key, and ask for the nth field in that record.

carl@bdaemon.UUCP (carl) (06/13/85)

> I am working on a program which will have a data base similar to /etc/passwd
> or /etc/inittab.  Are there any libraries which support these type of files?
> Specifically, I would like to be able to search for a record based on a
> certain key, and ask for the nth field in that record.

Why not:

	grep key file | awk -F: 'print $n'

where $n is the nth field?

Cral Brandauer

steven@luke.UUCP (Steven List) (06/16/85)

In article <298@bdaemon.UUCP> carl@bdaemon.UUCP (carl) writes:
>> I am working on a program which will have a data base similar to /etc/passwd
>> or /etc/inittab.  Are there any libraries which support these type of files?
>> Specifically, I would like to be able to search for a record based on a
>> certain key, and ask for the nth field in that record.
>
>Why not:
>
>	grep key file | awk -F: 'print $n'
>
>where $n is the nth field?
>
>Cral Brandauer
 ^^^^?

How about:

	grep "^key" file | awk -F: '{print $n}'

Good advice is only good if it's accurate.
--
***
*  Steven List @ Benetics Corporation, Mt. View, CA

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (06/20/85)

> How about:
>
> 	grep "^key" file | awk -F: '{print $n}'

Which only works if the key field is the first field in the record - and
will also match "keywest".

Besides, the guy asked for "libraries" - i.e., he presumably wants the moral
equivalent of "getpwnam" and "getpwuid" and the like.

	Guy Harris