[net.unix] Kim Walden's make dependency generator

scotth@grpwre.UUCP (Scott Herzinger) (06/18/85)

1) Has anyone ported this to System III or V?

2) Has anyone gotten makedep to work at all?

There seem to be a few Berkeleyisms beyond the names of include files
and string functions.  This is less critical than the following problem:

Makedep has some expressions that confuse me.  For instance:

	sprintf(s, "makenorm %s `pwd` %s %s | ", norm, srcs);

The format causes sprintf to expect three arguments; only two are
supplied.  Makedep core dumps as a result.  Anyone fixed this or any
other problems?  This is as far as I've gotten so far; have no idea
whether similar problems exist in the other two programs.

All help, pointers, etc. appreciated
--
		Scott Herzinger, Groupware Systems
		...!{ucbvax,decvax,ihnss}!tektronix!reed!grpwre!scotth

kim@enea.UUCP (Kim Walden) (06/29/85)

In article <161@grpwre.UUCP> Scott Herzinger writes:
>1) Has anyone ported this to System III or V?
>
>2) Has anyone gotten makedep to work at all?
>Makedep has some expressions that confuse me.  For instance:
>
>	sprintf(s, "makenorm %s `pwd` %s %s | ", norm, srcs);
>
>The format causes sprintf to expect three arguments; only two are
>supplied...

I thought a replied to this a week ago, but it somehow didn't make it,
so here we go again.

Yes, I have had several responses from people at various non-Berkeley
installations, system V and others, that have makedep running without
problems.

The sprintf mentioned is an old fossil bug that went undetected at our
4.2bsd, because the third %s only copied an empty string.

The correct line should read:

	sprintf(s, "makenorm %s `pwd` %s | ", norm, srcs);

When porting makedep to system V, it is also useful to have
	-Dindex=strchr -Drindex=strrchr
in ones CFLAGS when running make.

--
	Kim Walden
	ENEA DATA Sweden

	UUCP:	{seismo,decvax,philabs}!{mcvax,ukc,unido}!enea!kim
	ARPA:	decvax!mcvax!enea!kim@berkeley.arpa
		mcvax!enea!kim@seismo.arpa