[net.unix] cursor sensing in termcap

guido@boring.UUCP (07/30/85)

[This is cross-posted from net.games to net.unix because it really
belongs there.  Follow-up only to net.unix please.]

In article <774@mcvax.UUCP> aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) writes:
>(Unfortunately, not all the nice
>features can be expressed in this way: there is no standard capability to
>ask for the position of the cursor.)

Hmm.  I once needed this feature and added two capabilities to termcap:
sp= the escape sequence to send to the terminal (\E`\021 for HP's),
cp= what it returns, using the same % escapes as the 'cm' capability
(\E&a%r%3c%3Y^M for HP's).  In the absence of a standard way to do it,
this could as well be declared the standard -- unless there are conflicts
with other local additions of which I am not aware.  Since termcap is
slowly being replaced by terminfo, does anyone bother?  (Is that true
altogether?  What will be in 4.3BSD?)

	Guido van Rossum, CWI, Amsterdam
	guido@mcvax.UUCP

kimcm@diku.UUCP (Kim Christian Madsen) (08/04/85)

In article <774@mcvax.UUCP> aeb@mcvax.UUCP (Andries Brouwer) writes:
>(Unfortunately, not all the nice
>features can be expressed in this way: there is no standard capability to
>ask for the position of the cursor.)

If you use the standard package curses(3x), then you can ask which position
on the screen the cusor is at with the getyx(stdscr,y,x) command.

						Regards
						Kim Chr. Madsen
					a.k.a.	kimcm@diku.uucp