[net.unix] Xinu anyone?

jr@sesame.UUCP (Jim Rosenberg) (07/28/85)

My news address is somewhat unstable, so please excuse if this question was
just answered on the net.  I seem to recall someone asking about Xinu a few
weeks back.  I would like to get in touch with anyone hacking Xinu.  I
understand that there is a tape with the source code available, but you need a
Unix source license (which I don't have) because the cross-development tools
have AT&T code in them.  Does anyone have a machine readable form of just the
published code?  Am particularly interested in a port to the 8086 instruction
set.
     Is there such a thing as a Xinu users group?  Any interest in one?  I'm
intrigued by the idea of somehow making Xinu and MS-DOS co-resident in some
fashion -- and just using the native DOS file system as is.  If anyone is
doing this I'd love to be in touch.
     If you know where I can get the Xinu code, or just want to correspond,
please reply by uucp-mail to the address below because I read news on
out-of-town machines by long distance.  Thanks.

 Jim Rosenberg
 Voice: (412) 785-2806
 uucp: {decvax!idis,allegra}!pitt!amanuen!jr
 CIS: 71515,124
 USsnail: R. D. #1 Box 236, Grindstone, PA 15442

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (07/30/85)

> My news address is somewhat unstable, so please excuse if this question was
> just answered on the net.  I seem to recall someone asking about Xinu a few
> weeks back.  I would like to get in touch with anyone hacking Xinu.  I
> understand that there is a tape with the source code available, but you need a
> Unix source license (which I don't have) because the cross-development tools
> have AT&T code in them.  Does anyone have a machine readable form of just the
> published code?  Am particularly interested in a port to the 8086 instruction
> set.
>      Is there such a thing as a Xinu users group?  Any interest in one?  I'm
> intrigued by the idea of somehow making Xinu and MS-DOS co-resident in some
> fashion -- and just using the native DOS file system as is.  If anyone is
> doing this I'd love to be in touch.
>      If you know where I can get the Xinu code, or just want to correspond,
> please reply by uucp-mail to the address below because I read news on
> out-of-town machines by long distance.  Thanks.
>
>  Jim Rosenberg

	You don't need an AT&T license...there is NO Unix code involved.
The source code is available from Prentice-Hall, Inc. on a 9 track tar
format tape.

	When I get to my office tomorrow, I'll look up the ISBN number
on my tape. Of course, the source code is also in the book:

	"Operating System Design - the XINU Approach"
	by Douglas Comer
	Published by Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
	ISBN 0-13-637539-1

(my wife works for Prentice-Hall).
--
				Jim Scardelis
uucp: {vax135|ihnp4}!timeinc!wcom!frodo

frodo@wcom.UUCP (Jim Scardelis) (07/30/85)

> 	When I get to my office tomorrow, I'll look up the ISBN number
> on my tape. Of course, the source code is also in the book:
>
> 	"Operating System Design - the XINU Approach"
> 	by Douglas Comer
> 	Published by Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
> 	ISBN 0-13-637539-1

	The ISBN for the tape is 0-13-972076-6 .
--

kurt@wucs.UUCP (Kurt H. Haserodt) (07/31/85)

Regarding Xinu Jim Scardelis writes:

>	You don't need an AT&T license...there is NO Unix code involved.
>The source code is available from Prentice-Hall, Inc. on a 9 track tar
>format tape.
>
>	When I get to my office tomorrow, I'll look up the ISBN number
>on my tape. Of course, the source code is also in the book:
>
>	"Operating System Design - the XINU Approach"
>	by Douglas Comer
>	Published by Prentice-Hall, Inc., Englewood Cliffs, NJ 07632
>	ISBN 0-13-637539-1
>
>(my wife works for Prentice-Hall).
>--

We were asked for a copy of our Unix License when we ordered the tape from
PH.  At that time the tape cost $65.  It contains the full Xinu source,
as seen in the above referenced book, but it also contains source for an
lsi11 assembler and a C compiler.  The compiler looks a good bit like the V7
PDP11 C compiler (i.e. not like the portable C compiler), so I would think
that a license would be required.  I believe we only had to show that we had
a V7 license.

PH might now have a Xinu-only tape without the development tools for which they
do not require a license, but, in the past, they did have the tape we ordered
from them, and they did require proof of a Unix license.
--

Kurt Haserodt				..!ihnp4!wucs!kurt
Box 1045 Washington University		(314)-889-6160

rbt@sftig.UUCP (R.Thomas) (08/01/85)

> PH might now have a Xinu-only tape without the development tools for which they
> do not require a license, but, in the past, they did have the tape we ordered
> from them, and they did require proof of a Unix license.
> --
>
> Kurt Haserodt				..!ihnp4!wucs!kurt
> Box 1045 Washington University		(314)-889-6160
> St. Louis, MO 63130   USA

I just got thru taking an 'Operating Systems Design' course given at Bell
Labs by Comer, and I asked him if there was a sanitized version of the tape
available.  He said 'No.' and implied that there were no plans to produce
one.  On the other hand, he said that you could write to him and ask for a
special tape if you wanted something other than the Prentice-Hall version.
I got he impression that he intended that to mean the i8086 or M68K versions,
not a sanitized LSI11 version, but maybe if enough of us write and ask, he
will get the message.  He is a nice friendly person and a good teacher, so
be nice to him.  Don't flame.  OK?

Enjoy!
Rick Thomas
ihnp4!attunix!rbt

dr_d@sftig.UUCP (D.Donahue) (08/07/85)

> > My news address is somewhat unstable, so please excuse if this question was
> > just answered on the net.  I seem to recall someone asking about Xinu a few
> > weeks back.  I would like to get in touch with anyone hacking Xinu.  I
> > understand that there is a tape with the source code available, but you need a
> > Unix source license (which I don't have) because the cross-development tools
> > have AT&T code in them.  Does anyone have a machine readable form of just the
> > published code?  Am particularly interested in a port to the 8086 instruction
> > set.
> >      Is there such a thing as a Xinu users group?  Any interest in one?  I'm
> > intrigued by the idea of somehow making Xinu and MS-DOS co-resident in some
> > fashion -- and just using the native DOS file system as is.  If anyone is
> > doing this I'd love to be in touch.
> >      If you know where I can get the Xinu code, or just want to correspond,
> > please reply by uucp-mail to the address below because I read news on
> > out-of-town machines by long distance.  Thanks.
> >
> >  Jim Rosenberg

I completed a course taught by Douglas Comer last week (7/29 - 8/2) at Bell
Labs.  He made reference during the course to the condition that he is a CS
Professor at Purdue. He also noted that he makes rather frequent use of the
ARPANET.

Hint: if you have access to the ARPANET then it shouldn't be too hard to engage
	in correspondence with him over it.

He has a lab set up where there are LOTS of Xinu machines and users.

						Douglas R. Donahue
						AT&T Information Systems
						..ihnp4!attunix!dr_d