[net.unix] UNIX book?

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (08/02/85)

Somebody recommended:
  A Commentary on the UNIX(tm) Operating System
  by John Lions (of Univ. of New South Wales and Bell Labs)
and I can't find any mention of it in BOOKS IN PRINT in the library.
Can anyone give information on publisher, ordering, ...
Thanks.
--henry schaffer

render@uiucdcsb.Uiuc.ARPA (08/07/85)

According to a friend who used to work for Bell Labs, the Lions "book"
(actually a document) is still considered by Bell as proprietary
material, and is thus unavailable for public distribution.  There are
underground copies of it around, but admitting you have one
(particularly on the network) is not something the average person
would do.  Remember, the Deathstar has minions everywhere.

jimi@SCIRTP.UUCP (Jim Ingram) (08/09/85)

> Somebody recommended:
>   A Commentary on the UNIX(tm) Operating System
>   by John Lions (of Univ. of New South Wales and Bell Labs)
> and I can't find any mention of it in BOOKS IN PRINT in the library.
> Can anyone give information on publisher, ordering, ...
> Thanks.
> --henry schaffer

I looked in an old copy so proper names are probably wrong....

The title page states:

	This document may contain information covered by
	...licences, copyrights, and non-disclosure
	agreements. Circulation of this document is restricted
	to holders of a licence for the UNIX Software System
	from Western Electric. All other circulation or
	reproduction is prohibited.

AT&T UNIX licence holders receive a copy with their other deliverables.
The UNIX vendor is the publisher; call AT&T.
--

	The views expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily
	represent the views of any other individuals or organizations.

Jim Ingram			 {decvax, akgua, ihnp4}!mcnc!rti-sel!scirtp!jimi
SCI Systems, Inc.   	   P.O. Box 12557, RTP, NC 27709            919 549 8334

>According to a friend who used to work for Bell Labs, the Lions
>"book" (actually a document) is still considered by Bell as
>proprietary material. . . .  Admitting you have one (particularly
>on the network) is not something the average person would do.
>Remember, the Deathstar has minions everywhere.

Why not?  Why, we've got one right he ...*ack*

	PHONE SERVICE TO UMCP-CS WILL NO LONGER BE AVAILABLE
	PLEASE REROUTE ALL MAIL

[ :-) ]
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris
CSNet:	chris@umcp-cs		ARPA:	chris@maryland

tcs@usna.ARPA (08/12/85)

The Lions books are available from AT&T.  We had to sign an agreement
stating that we recognized that their contents are trade secret and
to protect that secret.  It also stated that they were not to be used
as the basis for a course.  We are only allowed one copy per site.
This was about 3 years ago and I don't know if this policy has changed.
	-tcs
	Terry Slattery	  U.S. Naval Academy	301-267-4413
	ARPA: tcs@brl-bmd     UUCP: decvax!brl-bmd!usna!tcs

fnf@unisoft.UUCP (08/12/85)

In article <613@brl-tgr.ARPA> tcs@usna.ARPA writes:
>The Lions books are available from AT&T.  We had to sign an agreement
>stating that we recognized that their contents are trade secret and
>to protect that secret.  It also stated that they were not to be used
>as the basis for a course ...

Hmmm, when I was at Arizona State University a couple years ago they
were used in a computer science course and were available in the
university bookstore.  Anyone could walk in off the street and buy
a copy.  You should have seen the lines ... :-)

-Fred

Fred Fish    UniSoft Systems Inc, 739 Allston Way, Berkeley, CA  94710  USA
{ucbvax,decvax}!unisoft!fnf	(415) 644 1230 		TWX 11 910 366-2145