[net.unix] source wanted

goldman@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Ken Goldman) (08/09/85)

We have a number of sites with VAXen running VMS which are linked
by DECnet or other such networks.  We also have at these sites a
number of workstations running UNIX.  We would like to use the
VAX network to transfer data among the UNIX systems.

The way I have seen this done elsewhere is to make a 'tar' tape
on one UNIX system, bring this tape over to the VAX/VMS system,
read it into one big file, directory structure and all, copy this
file to the remote VAX, write the big file onto tape, and bring
this tape over to the UNIX system.

The question: does anyone know of any software which runs under VMS
which can read a tar tape into a file and vice versa.  The one I saw
was written in VAX assembly language.

Or: any other suggestions?

kvc@scgvaxd.UUCP (Kevin Carosso) (08/20/85)

In article <454@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP> goldman@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Ken Goldman) writes:
>The question: does anyone know of any software which runs under VMS
>which can read a tar tape into a file and vice versa.  The one I saw
>was written in VAX assembly language.
>
>Or: any other suggestions?

No reason to write a program for this...  Just copy the file off the tape
as a single entity.  Something like:

	$ mount/foreign/blocksize=xxx mta0:
	$ copy mta0: stuff.tar

should work just fine, as long as you know the blocksize.  I think I've
used something like 10240 to read tar tapes, but I don't remember.
Since you aren't interested in unpacking the tar file on VMS, you shouldn't
need a special purpose program at all.

	/Kevin Carosso     {ihnp4 | allegra | seismo}!scgvaxd!engvax!kvc
	 Hughes Aircraft Co.