[net.unix] ls follies

fbp@cybvax0.UUCP (Rick Peralta) (08/21/85)

In article <321@luke.UUCP> you write:
>>  What gets me is there is no way to convince ls to produce _unsorted_
>>output!  (never mind why...

How about ls -f.

By the way why does -f have to turn off -l and about everything else ?
Please followup in net.unix.

Rick  ...!cybvax0[!dmc0]!fbp

"A likely story.  I don't believe a word of it."

In article <695@cybvax0.UUCP>, fbp@cybvax0.UUCP (Rick Peralta) writes:
>In article <321@luke.UUCP> you write:
>>>  What gets me is there is no way to convince ls to produce _unsorted_
>>>output!  (never mind why...
>>

>How about ls -f.
>
>By the way why does -f have to turn off -l and about everything else ?
>Please followup in net.unix.
>

>Rick  ...!cybvax0[!dmc0]!fbp

ls -f will also "list" a directory which is not really a directory at all,
try cat some_dir/ > fake_dir  (where some_dir/ is a directory and fake_dir
is of course an ordinary file) followed by ls -f fake_dir.  You will see the
same result as an unsorted ls -a of some_dir/ .  Because the arg to such a
ls -f might not be a directory at all it would not make sense to stat the
"files" in it.  (Try ls -f /etc/passwd or for more fun, ls -if).
|         an engihacker @        |  ployer, my pets, my plants, my boss, or the
| at&t computer systems division |  s.a. of any computer upon which I may hack.
|        skokie, illinois        |
 --------------------------------   Path: ..!ihnp4!ttrdc!levy
                                      or: ..!ihnp4!iheds!ttbcad!levy

alexis@reed.UUCP (Alexis Dimitriadis) (08/25/85)

> >>  What gets me is there is no way to convince ls to produce _unsorted_
> >>output!  (never mind why...
>
> How about ls -f.

  ls -f is fine *if the argument is a single directory*.
Besides, 4.2BSD ls -f alphabetizes its "directory" arguments, before
listing each one unsorted.  Try "ls -f b a" to see what I mean...

Alexis Dimitriadis
  As soon as I get a full time job, the opinions expressed above
will attach themselves to my employer, who will never be rid of
them again.

             alexis @ reed

                 ...teneron! \
...seismo!ihnp4! - tektronix! - reed.UUCP
     ...decvax! /