[net.unix] EX/ NCR TOWER

cim2@pyuxv.UUCP (Robert L. Fair) (08/22/85)

>I have an application which needs to run an editor script with ex (sed
>and ed will not do).  Even though my environment is properly set with
>TERM and TERMCAP, when I type "ex < file", the editor does not seem to
>know my terminal type.  On the VAX (4.2) this is not so bad, but on an
>NCR Tower ex refused to do any editing without a cursor addressable
>terminal.  Depending upon specifics, I got messages like:
>    Terminal must have UP capability to use open/visual mode
>(even thought the only command in the file was "set"), or
>    Unknown terminal type "dumb"
>
>Is anyone familiar with this problem?  Is there a workaround?
>By the way, does the Tower have a Unisoft port?
>	Thanks in advance,

The answer is yes, ( I think )  NCR UNIX release 1 was indeed
UNISOFT based, and had a number of funnies like the ex problem
above.

To fix these problems ( & others...) NCR did their own
in-house port for their UNIX Release 2 (Out Spring 1985)

Its based on the AT&T System-V VAX tape with lots
of Berserkely goodies, plus things like ***full*** power fail
recovery, file locking,  and a really neat distributed
kernel. In fact its one of the nicest UNIX implementations I've
ever used, especially with the hardware support on the TOWER-XP.

So, try upgrading from Release-1 if you havn't done so already.
Otherwise, try talking to NCR direct - I've found them to be
pretty helpful in getting fixes.

Rob. Fair.
Bellcore, Piscataway.

{bambi | gamma }!pyuxv!cim2

## To boldly wibble where no fair has wibbled before

/***************************************************************************/
/*
 *	These are my opinions and do not necessarily reflect those
 *	of:
 *	BELL COMMUNICATIONS RESEARCH,
 *      COMPUTER HORIZONS CORPERATION,
 */
/***************************************************************************/

carl@bdaemon.UUCP (carl) (08/27/85)

> >I have an application which needs to run an editor script with ex (sed
> >and ed will not do).  Even though my environment is properly set with
> >TERM and TERMCAP, when I type "ex < file", the editor does not seem to
> >know my terminal type. [Plus many replies]

The answer is to use the the 'ex' (or vi) so (for source) command.  Just
put your editor script into some file, say 'edfile' and type
	so edfile
from 'ex' or
	:so edfile
from 'vi'
and your problem is solved.

Carl Brandauer
daemon associates
1760 Sunset Blvd.
Boulder, CO 80302
{allegra|amd|attunix|cbosgd|ucbvax}!nbires!bdaemon!carl

lasse@daab.UUCP (Lars Hammarstrand) (08/27/85)

In article <120@pyuxv.UUCP> cim2@pyuxv.UUCP (Robert L. Fair) writes:
> >	.	.	.
> >	.	.	.
> >	.	.	.
> >By the way, does the Tower have a Unisoft port?
> >	Thanks in advance,
>
>The answer is yes, ( I think )  NCR UNIX release 1 was indeed
>UNISOFT based, and had a number of funnies like the ex problem
>above.
>
>To fix these problems ( & others...) NCR did their own
>in-house port for their UNIX Release 2 (Out Spring 1985)

It was the worst thing they ever could do, because they did get a hole bunch of
new problems.

>Its based on the AT&T System-V VAX tape with lots
>of Berserkely goodies, plus things like ***full*** power fail
>recovery, file locking,  and a really neat distributed
>kernel. In fact its one of the nicest UNIX implementations I've
>ever used, especially with the hardware support on the TOWER-XP.

Sorry to say, but not as many as on a REAL UniPlus+ port.
But I can shure tell you, that the power fail recovery is a real nice thing
to have.

>So, try upgrading from Release-1 if you havn't done so already.
>Otherwise, try talking to NCR direct - I've found them to be
>pretty helpful in getting fixes.
>
>Rob. Fair.
>Bellcore, Piscataway.

And another thing is that NCR Release-2 isn't the same as the real Release 2
and the shared memory and that stuff doesn't work under NSR rel2, but in the
other hand, why shouldn't that already have been fixed.

	Lars Hammarstrand.
	Datorisering AB, Stockholm, SWEDEN.

	UUCP:	{seismo,decvax,philabs}!{mcvax,ukc,unido}!enea!daab!lasse
	ARPA:	decvax!mcvax!enea!daab!lasse@berkley.ARPA
		decvax!mcvax!enea!daab!lasse@seismo.ARPA

csg@pyramid.UUCP (Carl S. Gutekunst) (08/29/85)

>> >By the way, does the Tower have a Unisoft port?
>> >	Thanks in advance,
>>
>>The answer is yes, ( I think )  NCR UNIX release 1 was indeed
>>UNISOFT based, and had a number of funnies like the ex problem
>>above.
>>
>>To fix these problems ( & others...) NCR did their own
>>in-house port for their UNIX Release 2 (Out Spring 1985)

I missed some of the earlier discussion, so this may be out of context, but....

Unix release 1 for the Tower was definitely a very early Uniplus+; it was an
extension of version 7 with Berkeley enhancements. I was actually quite pleased
with it; it was exceptionally stable compared to other Unix systems I'd worked
with at the time.

Unix release 2 was done by Human Computing Resources of Toronto, Ontario. This
was allegedly Unix System V, and was developed primarily for the Tower XP. I
haven't worked enough with it to comment.

I believe that the only Unix software development done at NCR Columbia (where
the Tower is made) is NCR's System Administrator menu package. NCR San Diego
was working on their own System V port, but that was for the 9300/9400 series
of minicomputers. That whole idea got trashed because corporate management
didn't want the 9300/9400 to compete against Columbia's Tower XP and 68020
products.

ncr-sd, are you guys listening? I want to make sure I'm not talking through
my hat....
--
      -m-------     Carl S. Gutekunst, Software R&D, Pyramid Technology
    ---mmm-----     P.O. Box 7295, Mountain View, CA 94039   415/965-7200

mike@hcradm.UUCP (Mike Tilson) (09/01/85)

Just a minor correction on the antecedents of the NCR Tower System V
adaptation.  We at Human Computing Resources had a joint development
effort to product a System V version for the Tower.  It was done well
before the current "official" M68000 version was available.  However, a
(and perhaps by further implication aren't able to do their own development.)
This is not true.  In the time since we did basic initial work, NCR has
done very substantial development work, and the product as it now stands
really is NCR's own product.  To pick just one example, the power fail
recovery (which is a *nice* feature to have when somebody accidentally
kicks the plug of your office micro) is entirely their own work.  As far
as I can tell, the NCR Tower UNIX system is backed by significant
internal development resources.  This is not to say that it's perfect, or
that mistakes weren't made, but in all fairness credit should be given
where credit is due, and I think a lot of good technical work has been
done at NCR.

I just wanted to correct the impression that the current Tower UNIX
system was an "off the shelf" product from us.  (Of course I'd like
to claim all the good and disown all the bad.:-))  But the fact is that
the product as it stands today is an NCR product, backed by NCR.

/Michael Tilson
/Human Computing Resources Corp.
/ {utzoo,decvax}!hcr!hcradm!mike

ccrdave@ucdavis.UUCP (Lord Kahless) (09/03/85)

> I believe that the only Unix software development done at NCR Columbia (where
> the Tower is made) is NCR's System Administrator menu package. NCR San Diego
> was working on their own System V port, but that was for the 9300/9400 series
> of minicomputers. That whole idea got trashed because corporate management
> didn't want the 9300/9400 to compete against Columbia's Tower XP and 68020
> products.
>
>       -m-------     Carl S. Gutekunst, Software R&D, Pyramid Technology
>     ---mmm-----     P.O. Box 7295, Mountain View, CA 94039   415/965-7200
>   -----mmmmm---     UUCP: {allegra,decwrl,Shasta,sun,topaz!pyrnj}!pyramid!csg
> -------mmmmmmm-     ARPA: pyramid!csg@sri-unix.ARPA

The system administration menu on the Sys V 2.01 Tower looks almost
exactly like the menu on the Durango Poppy II box, which runs XENIX.
The only difference I noticed is that the Tower version works, aside
from some minor bugs and some sloppy screens.

pete@oakhill.UUCP (Peter) (09/07/85)

Ya Carl, thats the long and the short of it. I was involved in that mess.

Peter Percosan
FORMER NCR-tp   (San Diego)
current Motorola Austin TX