[net.unix] Callan UUCP system names on System-V, utsname.

cim2@pyuxv.UUCP (Robert L. Fair) (09/06/85)

>From: gww@aphasia.UUCP (George Williams)
>    We have here a callan box (modified by someone else if that matters) running
>system 5 unix (no source of course, we have 4.2bsd source on a vax if that can
>be modified).  The box is of the opinion that its uuname is `clm' we would like
>to convince it otherwise; there does not seem to be a hostname command, or any
>equivalent.  One system V that we have has a magic little file that lives in
>/usr/lib/uucp that contains this name, does callan?
>
>    It seems to me that I read somewhere that the host name was compiled into
>the kernel under sysV, that seems dumb, and unbelievable (we don't have source).

Yes indeedy, the host name is compiled into the kernel. The good news is
that you don't always need a source licence to change it, just
the ability to re-link the kernel, which most binary vendors
provide.

System-V has a kernel structure called 'utsname' which contains lots of
useful information about your particular bit of metal:

	struct utsname utsname = {
		SYS,
		NODE,
		REL,
		VER,
		MACH,
	};

where the things in CAPS are put in a #define  by the makefile
when linking the kernel - Don't edit the source file itself !
UUCP reads the NODE to get the local system name.

If you want to print out the contents of 'utsname', use the 'sar'
command - The first line of the output should contain all the
entries from 'utsname' (also see 'uname(2)')

Note that some versions of UUCP also have an external Node name
(see the UUCP documentation for your machine).  Its my sad experience that
if the two don't agree poor UUCP can get very confused !!

Setting NODE is machine dependent, most good vendors allow you
to relink the kernel to tweak all the good things in '/etc/master',
add new device drivers etc. The libaries & makefile will
probably lie in a directory like '/kernel' or '/sys'
(unlike a source machine, when the directory is typically /usr/src/uts/)
'utsname' normally resides in '..../cf/name.c', which is one of the
2 or 3 source files often distributed on binary systems.
The traditional way to re-link the kernel is something like:

	cd /kernel
	make unix VER=proto REL=5.2  SYS=mine NODE=wibble ...
	                                      ===========

which produces a new kernel in some standard place - typically
called 'unixproto'

Sorry I can't be more specific, but I'm not a callan guru...
Anyone out there who is ????

Rob. Fair
Bell Communications Research
Piscataway.
{bambi | gamma}!pyuxv!cim2

To boldy step on toads where no toads have been stepped on before.

jon@ptsfb.UUCP (Jon Gallagher) (09/11/85)

To: cim2@pyuxv.UUCP
Subject: Re: Callan UUCP system names on System-V, utsname.
Newsgroups: net.unix-wizards,net.unix
Bcc:

	It's been our experience that the "setuname" coomand works
just fine on System V and V.2. We distribute a system base on the CT
Megaframe and have /etc/rc do a setuname (based on files a `cat $file`
of two files, sysnam and nodename) on going to init 2. Subsequent
"uname" calls find the proper system name and nodename, just like the man
page says it should (:-} :-} :-} )We find this a lot easier
than relinking /unix (which we ended up having to because there
wasn't enough message queue space but...).
	Seriously, if you don't have to re-configure /unix
DON'T (you never what your supplier's gnomes have gotten into).
Use your (1M) utilities instead.

Jon Gallagher
Pacific Bell

2600 Camino Ramon
San Ramon, CA 94583

(415) 823-2451

{ihnp4|dual}!ptsfa!pbcast!matt

--
Jon Gallagher
Pacific Bell

2600 Camino Ramon
San Ramon, CA 94583

(415) 823-2451

{ihnp4|dual}!ptsfa!pbcast!matt

jon@ptsfb.UUCP (Jon Gallagher) (09/11/85)

	It's been our experience that the "setuname" coomand works
just fine on System V and V.2. We distribute a system based on the CT
Megaframe and have /etc/rc do a setuname (based on a `cat $file`
of two files, sysnam and nodename) on going to init 2.
The subsequent unames come out just as the manual says they
should ( :-} :-} :-} ) We find this a lot easier than relinking
/unix (which we ended up having to do because there wasn't enough
message queue space but...)
	Seriously, using the (1M) utilities will save you a lot
of headaches, especially if you don't knoiw exactly what *surpirises*
your suppliers' little gnomes have hidden in the kernel ( again, :-} )
--

guy@sun.uucp (Guy Harris) (09/12/85)

> 	It's been our experience that the "setuname" coomand works
> just fine on System V and V.2. We distribute a system based on the CT
> Megaframe...

Try it on a system *not* based on the CT MegaFrame.  You're likely to be
unpleasantly surprised.  There is no such command in S5 distributions from
AT&T.

	Guy Harris

rbp@investor.UUCP (Bob Peirce) (09/14/85)

> 	It's been our experience that the "setuname" coomand works
> just fine on System V and V.2. We distribute a system based on the CT

> 	Seriously, using the (1M) utilities will save you a lot
> of headaches, especially if you don't knoiw exactly what *surpirises*

This assumes you have setuname.  On my Altos 68000 Sys III Unix there
is a similar command called setnode.  However, it is not documented in
the Unix Manual form AT&T.  Therefore, I have to assume it is something
Altos added to solve the same problem.
--

	 	    Bob Peirce, Pittsburgh, PA
	    uucp: ...!{allegra, bellcore, cadre, idis}

	    NOTE:  Mail must be < 30K  bytes/message