[net.unix] SAS on Unix?

dave@uwmcsd1.UUCP (Dave Rasmussen) (09/11/85)

There has been growing interest on our campus among statisticians to be able
to use SAS, a statistical package. From my understanding of SAS, you either
need a moderately configured mainframe (an IBM 43xx series, for example) for
alot of $$, or you can get a micro version, which probably will not handle
large data sets gracefully.

My question is, does anyone know if this package is available for say, a
Unix mini of some sort?

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (09/12/85)

> My question is, does anyone know if this package is available for say, a
> Unix mini of some sort?
 I just called SAS, and they do not have a version of SAS for unix, nor do
they have it on their list of stuff they have in development.  They have
had a number of requests for a unix version.
 If you want to enquire further  SAS is at  919 467 8000 and ask for Software
Sales.
--henry schaffer  n c state univ
(std. disclaimer - also SAS and unix are trademarks.)

edc@ur-msbvax.UUCP (09/13/85)

I have never heard of SAS on a Unix machine.  SAS is available on Vax's
running VMS.  You could bring up Eunice, or some other partial imitation
of Unix, on the same machine.

Eric Carleen
UUCP: {allegra, seismo}!rochester!ur-msbvax!edc
Phone: (716)-275-5391

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (09/14/85)

Check with SAS, I believe they are currently re-coding their entire
system from PL/I to C to improve portability. They are also involved
with (marketing) some new C compiler to help them do this, I believe
most of that interest had to do with the IBM/370 series machines.

I can't help but suspect that this effort by them has *something* to
do with running under UNIX.

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

hachong@watmath.UUCP (Herb Chong) (09/15/85)

In article <645@bu-cs.UUCP> root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
>Check with SAS, I believe they are currently re-coding their entire
>system from PL/I to C to improve portability. They are also involved
>with (marketing) some new C compiler to help them do this, I believe
>most of that interest had to do with the IBM/370 series machines.

they worked with lattice to develop the C compiler and are marketing it
as a separate product for the various machines that SAS is supported on.
SAS Version 5 is mostly written in C.

>I can't help but suspect that this effort by them has *something* to
>do with running under UNIX.

according to their glossies and SAS Comunnications, the main reason
was that most of SAS is written in PL/I or FORTRAN with a lot of
assembler subroutines and they wanted to standardize on one language
that gave them the power neccessary to do systemy things.  PL/I allows
most of them, but very few systems other than IBM and VMS have a good
PL/I compiler.  they might have chosen modula-2 if compilers had been
more available on more machines.

Herb Chong...

I'm user-friendly -- I don't byte, I nybble....

(will disappear soon)
UUCP:  {decvax|utzoo|ihnp4|allegra|clyde}!watmath!hachong
CSNET: hachong%watmath@waterloo.csnet
ARPA:  hachong%watmath%waterloo.csnet@csnet-relay.arpa