[net.unix] Control-Z hanging vi - Why

goldman@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Ken Goldman) (09/17/85)

HW - Valid workstation running 4.1BSD:
Due to a keyboard which reverses the CTRL and SHIFT keys, users (including
myself) occasionally type ^Z^Z instead of ZZ to write and exit from vi.
This hangs the terminal - all characters are echoed but none have any
effect, not even ESC or ^C or ^D.  The only solution is to kill the
process from another terminal, losing the editing session.

Anyone have a better way out?

cdl@mplvax.UUCP (Carl Lowenstein) (09/18/85)

In article <480@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP> goldman@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Ken Goldman) writes:
>Due to a keyboard which reverses the CTRL and SHIFT keys, users (including
>myself) occasionally type ^Z^Z instead of ZZ to write and exit from vi.
>Anyone have a better way out?

	:x

--
	carl lowenstein		marine physical lab	u.c. san diego
	{ihnp4|decvax|akgua|dcdwest|ucbvax}	!sdcsvax!mplvax!cdl

root@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (09/22/85)

>From: goldman@ittvax.ATC.ITT.UUCP (Ken Goldman)
>Due to a keyboard which reverses the CTRL and SHIFT keys, users (including
>myself) occasionally type ^Z^Z instead of ZZ to write and exit from vi.
>This hangs the terminal - all characters are echoed but none have any
>effect, not even ESC or ^C or ^D.  The only solution is to kill the
>process from another terminal, losing the editing session.
>
>Anyone have a better way out?

Yes, send a HANGUP (kill -1 pid) to the top level shell on the terminal
and you'll probably be able to log back in and recover with a 'vi -r'.
(I know, you wanted a fix to VI, sorry, but this should help till it comes.)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University