[net.unix] curses and line graphics

russes@ichaya.UUCP (Bob Russes) (10/25/85)

	Is there a way to get the "curses" screen handling package
to draw VT100 line graphics within windows?  What I'd like to do
is draw a box within a window and be able to move that window around
on the screen.

	Unfortunately, the documentation is *NOT* ovbious.  The
manual page describes a curses call named "getcap".  This call
is not mentioned in the documentation written by Ken Arnold.
Could this be used?

	Any help would be most welcome.

Bob Russes
decvax!ichaya!russes

laman@ncr-sd.UUCP (Mike Laman) (10/28/85)

In article <105@ichaya.UUCP> russes@ichaya.UUCP (Bob Russes) writes:

>	Is there a way to get the "curses" screen handling package
>to draw VT100 line graphics within windows?  What I'd like to do
>is draw a box within a window and be able to move that window around
>on the screen.
>
>	Unfortunately, the documentation is *NOT* ovbious.
>		:

No.  As I remember not even SVR2.2 has the ability.  We are currently
running a Beta SVR3 version here and I added a routine to make the
information available to the user on a more general scale.

Sorry, you're out of luck.  I can think of a KLUDGE, but I don't have the
heart (or nerve) to repeat it.  It would be a great pain in the neck
and you would most certainly lower your opinion :-).

I would suggest that in the future you say which curses library you are
using (4.1BSD, 4.2BSD, SysV, ...).

		Mike Laman
		UUCP: {ucbvax,philabs,sdcsla}!sdcsvax!ncr-sd!laman