[net.unix] UNIX-SW - a new mailing list for sources respository...

TABRON@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Sue Tabron) (10/29/85)

This message is to announce the creation of a new  mailing  list,  UNIX-SW.
The  purpose  of  this  list  is  to  create  a  vehicle for announcing the
availablity of new major packages of UNIX / 'C' language  software  on  the
SIMTEL20  repository.  This list will also be used to mail periodic updates
of the list of all UNIX software held at SIMTEL20 (probably monthly).

UNIX-SW is not a forum for discussion of this  software.  Such  discussions
are  more appropriately held with the authors, or in other groups.  Rather,
we are attempting to  make  known  to  the  widest  possible  audience  the
contents of this large repository of public-domain software.

SIMTEL20 is a DEC-20 machine running the TOPS20 operating  system,  located
at  White  Sands  Missile  Range, New Mexico.  The machine is a host on the
Defense Data Network (DDN), and as such, gives users located on other hosts
the  capability  of  directly  transferring this software via the FTP (file
transfer process) command.

Requests to be added to the mailing list, and administrative questions, should
be directed to:

			UNIX-SW-REQUEST@SIMTEL20

Susan Tabron                                         <stabron@amc-hq>
AMC LSSA                                             <tabron@simtel20>
Chambersburg, PA  17201
-------

levy@ANL-MCS.ARPA (Jaakov Levy) (10/30/85)

Seems to be useful if you could tell your users exactly HOW to ftp sources
from SIMTEL-20. Like, you forgot to include that IMPORTANT info in your
message...

	Jacob Levy
	levy@anl-mcs.arpa

WANCHO@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Frank J. Wancho) (10/30/85)

    Seems to be useful if you could tell your users exactly HOW to ftp
    sources from SIMTEL-20.  Like, you forgot to include that IMPORTANT
    info in your message...

Jacob,

How to FTP which files from SIMTEL20 is what the list is all about.
Directions for FTP aren't appropriate for a general announcement that
a list now exists for that purpose.  The idea for the list is that if
you're interested, you can ask to be added so that you can get such
information which will include pathnames to the directories and
files available, plus brief summaries of what's new every so often.

--Frank

Crispin@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Mark Crispin) (10/30/85)

It should be more or less common knowledge that on the Internet there is
a "free" FTP-only account called ANONYMOUS on most sites that can be logged
in to via FTP with any password.  SIMTEL20 supports the ANONYMOUS FTP
convention.  Presumably the user gave you the pathname there of the file(s)
you want.
-------

ken@turtlevax.UUCP (Ken Turkowski) (10/31/85)

In article <2568@brl-tgr.ARPA> TABRON@SIMTEL20.ARPA (Sue Tabron) writes:
>This message is to announce the creation of a new  mailing  list,  UNIX-SW.
>The  purpose  of  this  list  is  to  create  a  vehicle for announcing the
>availablity of new major packages of UNIX / 'C' language  software  on  the
>SIMTEL20  repository.  This list will also be used to mail periodic updates
>of the list of all UNIX software held at SIMTEL20 (probably monthly).

How does one gain access to the software on the SIMTEL20 machine from the
USENET?
--
Ken Turkowski @ (CADLINC --> CIMLINC), Menlo Park, CA
UUCP: {amd,decwrl,hplabs,seismo,spar}!turtlevax!ken

In article <2614@brl-tgr.ARPA>, Crispin@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Mark Crispin) writes:
>It should be more or less common knowledge that on the Internet there is
>a "free" FTP-only account called ANONYMOUS on most sites that can be logged
>in to via FTP with any password.  SIMTEL20 supports the ANONYMOUS FTP
>convention.  Presumably the user gave you the pathname there of the file(s)
>you want.

Somebody please tell me--what can a user on a mere mortal uucp-only system
do to get copies of these sources (and others which are announced as access-
ible by FTP)?  Could not perhaps some kind person who does have FTP access
to them send copies to the mod.sources moderator and announce on the net?
Thanks....
|        skokie, illinois        |