[net.unix] intnl: Shell for multiple languages?

sewilco@mecc.UUCP (Scot E. Wilcoxon) (11/03/85)

I think John's on the right track.  We don't need to just decide on a
character set representation.  We also need to decide what needs to be
changed in UNIX.  You'll see two similar articles here: character sets
and UNIX commands.

Application programs which need special character sets will use whatever
set they need.  Hopefully when they generate a text file for manipulation
with a UNIX utility, that utility will have been modified to use it.
Eventually there should be a standard character set, and all text-using
utilities will handle it.  Until then, application programs might have
to keep their text to themselves.

I think the best place to start international UNIX is in the user
program which has the most interaction with the user.  That's the
shell.  Without a multiple-language shell a user can't use the UNIX
capabilities in the same way the creators of UNIX intended.  (Maybe
the traditional shell is not best, but that's a different discussion)

Do any non-English shells already exist?

In article <224@l5.uucp> gnu@l5.uucp (John Gilmore) writes:
>Internally to an international program, characters would be 16 bits,
>but stdio routines (printw, fprintw, sscanw, etc) would encode to a
>bytestream on the way in and out.  ("w" for "world" or "wide").
>
>(Hmm, the non-Unix-opsys people have been looking for a way to tell when
>we Unixoids are reading or writing a text file versus a binary file...now
>that we propose encoding our own text files, they will have the clue.)

(Qualifications?  I speak American, understand British, carry on a
stumbling conversation in Portuguese, and can get the gist of a Spanish
newspaper article)
--

Scot E. Wilcoxon  Minn. Ed. Comp. Corp.         circadia!mecc!sewilco
45 03 N / 93 15 W   (612)481-3507 {ihnp4,mgnetp}!dicomed!mecc!sewilco