[net.unix] INFO-UNIX Digest V1#204

CHERRY.PASA@XEROX.ARPA (11/06/85)

Ref: Help needed with gettytab.c (john@sol1.UUCP (john))

>Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong with gettytab.c
>I'm trying to setup a speed table that cycles through 1200 baud then
>300 baud and then 2400 baud.

Try this.  Its quite a bit easier

/etc/gettydefs:

1200# B1200 # B1200 CS8 CREAD IGNPAR ISTRIP ICRNL IXON IXANY ISIG ICANON
ECHO ECHOE ECHOK OPOST ONLCR TAB1 #\r\nlogin: #300

300# B300 # B300 CS8 CREAD IGNPAR ISTRIP ICRNL IXON IXANY ISIG ICANON
ECHO ECHOE ECHOK OPOST ONLCR TAB1 #\r\nlogin: #2400

2400# B2400 # B2400 CS8 CREAD IGNPAR ISTRIP ICRNL IXON IXANY ISIG ICANON
ECHO ECHOE ECHOK OPOST ONLCR TAB1 #\r\nlogin: #1200

Cherry.Pasa@Xerox.Arpa

In article <2897@brl-tgr.ARPA> CHERRY.PASA@XEROX.ARPA writes:
> Ref: Help needed with [V7? 4.1BSD? --ed.] gettytab.c (john@sol1.UUCP (john))
>> Could someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong with gettytab.c....
>
> Try this.  Its quite a bit easier
> [SysIII, SysV? --ed.] /etc/gettydefs:
> 1200# B1200 # B1200 CS8 CREAD IGNPAR ISTRIP ICRNL IXON IXANY ISIG ICANON
> ECHO ECHOE ECHOK OPOST ONLCR TAB1 #\r\nlogin: #300

You have both just fallen prey to the `there is only one Unix'
fallacy.  It is fairly clear from john@sol1's message that he is
working with 4.1BSD or V7 or a V7-variant other than System III or
System V (or System V release X version Y variant Q modified by L,
etc.).  It is also clear from the strings in `/etc/gettydefs' that
Cherry.PASA@Xerox is dealing with System III or System V, et alia.

Once again, it is time to remind people to tack on the appropriate
Unix variant for most if not all questions about specific programs.
Do not be ashamed, for I dare say that everyone has forgotten this
at least once.

(Unfortunately, I cannot answer john@sol1 as we are running 4.3BSD.
Sorry about that.)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris