[net.unix] S and M4

POSER@su-csli.arpa (Bill Poser) (11/26/85)

	I just tried to install a new (1984) version of S on an 11/750
running 4.2BSD. The installation procedure aborted when it ran a test to
see if the version of the M4 macro processor was the one it wanted.
The test checks whether M4 understands an argument designator of the
form $*. None of the machines that I have tried around here have an M4
that knows about $*, nor have I found it in any documentation. All of the
manuals say that argument designators are of the form $n, n an integer.
Does anyone know what's going on here and how I might follow SYSGEN's
suggestion that I get a new version of M4?
-------

cperry@mitre.arpa (Chris Perry) (11/26/85)

Mike,

I don't have a copy of the message on the next ttf meeting;
however, raj mishra (mishra@mitre.arpa) does.  i've forwarded
your note to him, and i'll call him to make sure he's received
it.  let me know if you don't get a reply.

cheers

chris

mikem@uwstat.UUCP (11/26/85)

> 	I just tried to install a new (1984) version of S on an 11/750
> running 4.2BSD. .........
> Does anyone know what's going on here and how I might follow SYSGEN's
> suggestion that I get a new version of M4?
> -------

Try looking in ~s/src/m4 (also try ~s/src/yacc ).  Both of these should be
remade and used by S. (I forget the details, but I think the m$ requires
this yacc .....).  Anyway, READ the help; document which comes with the tape.
It usually explains these things.

--

Mike Meyer --  Phone +1 (608) 262-1157 (Leave messages at 262-2598)

ARPA:  mikem@stat.wisc.edu   (used to be mikem@wisc-stat.arpa )
UUCP:  ...!{allegra,ihnp4,seismo,harvard,topaz,caip,ucbvax,
            pyrchi,heurikon}!uwvax!uwstat!mikem

perlman@wanginst.UUCP (Gary Perlman) (11/27/85)

To compile S, you need the System V version of the m4 macro processor.
It is a big improvment on the Version 7 m4 distributed with Berkeley.
I think older versions of S sent m4 along for the ride, but no longer.
--
Gary Perlman  Wang Institute  Tyngsboro, MA 01879  (617) 649-9731
UUCP: decvax!wanginst!perlman             CSNET: perlman@wanginst

perry@vu-vlsi.UUCP ( Faculty) (12/02/85)

In article <67@brl-tgr.ARPA>, POSER@su-csli.arpa (Bill Poser) writes:

> 	I just tried to install a new (1984) version of S on an 11/750
> running 4.2BSD. The installation procedure aborted when it ran a test to
> see if the version of the M4 macro processor was the one it wanted.

   We recently installed S on our Pyramid 90x system and had to install
the special version of m4 that comes with the S source. My notes on that
say:

   src/m4/makefile changed to install m4 in src/m4 directory;
   adm/cmd/MAKEm4 changed to reference m4 from /u1/s/src/m4/m4
   cmd/makehead M4 symbol set to /u1/s/src/m4/m4

where /u1/s is the S home directory here... you need to do 'make'
in the ~s/src/m4 directory after performing these changes.

...Rick Perry