[net.unix] 4.2 on 8600

neil@mupsy.UUCP (Neil Todd @ MUCS) (11/06/85)

A little while ago I asked whether anyone out there knows about
putting 4.2 on an 8600, as I haven't heard a thing I must assume
that the message got lost somewhere. So here we go again :-

I'm going to be getting an 8600 in the January. I want to run
BSD Unix. As I can't get 4.3 yet, I'm going to have hack 4.2 about.
So the big question is - Has anybody else done this yet ?
If you have please stand up and make yourself known !
Even if you haven't done it, but know whats involved I would like
to hear from you.

Neil Todd

JANET:-	neil@man.cs.ux
UUCP:-  ...!mcvax!ukc!mucs!neil
ARPA:-	neil%man.cs.ux@ucl.cs
or
ARPA:   cbjones@ucl.cs

rsp@decvax.UUCP (Ricky Palmer) (11/18/85)

Ultrix-32 runs on the 8600. It runs like the
proverbial "bat out of ...". Contact your DEC salesperson for further
information.

							Ricky Palmer
							DEC - Ultrix Group
							rsp@decvax

steve@tove.UUCP (Steve D. Miller) (11/20/85)

   We're running 4.3 on our 8600; I think that Chris Torek had to do a bit
of hacking to get out particular tty xface going (it's a dmz-32) , but other
than that, it ran right off.

   It's pretty amazing (the 8600, that is...not that 4.3 isn't neat,
too) -- it takes 15 minutes from "config BRILLIG" to the time
the "make vmunix" is done, and that's compiling a vmunix from scratch.
The first time we compiled one, we all stood around and said, "WOW!!"
This compile took about 1/8th the time it takes on a 750 (also a 4.3
machine).  Nice.

	-Steve

--
Spoken: Steve Miller 	ARPA:	steve@mimsy.umd.edu	Phone: +1-301-454-4251
CSNet:	steve@umcp-cs 	UUCP:	{seismo,allegra}!umcp-cs!steve

mp@allegra.UUCP (Mark Plotnick) (11/25/85)

> Ultrix-32 runs on the 8600. It runs like the
> proverbial "bat out of ...". Contact your DEC salesperson for further
> information.
Be aware that Ultrix for the 8600 is going to be in "field test" for
the next few months, which means you have to run an essentially
binary-only system with some quirks in the commands, networking, and
RA81 and DMZ drivers (we've bought a source license, which entitles us
to write letters to the powers-that-be to ask for sources on a
module-by-module basis).  On the plus side, it does run fast, they've
ported the VMS Fortran compiler to it, and the documentation hints at
optional system V compatibility at the C library level (if only the
documentation said what environment variable needs to be set!)

> Ultrix-32 runs on the 8600. It runs like the
> proverbial "bat out of ...". Contact your DEC salesperson for further
> information.
(do I recall something about advertising being verboten?)
>							Ricky Palmer
>							DEC - Ultrix Group
>							rsp@decvax

     I wasn't  able to find the original article for  this, but from the
subject  line, I assume someone  asked  whether  4.2  ran  on the  8600.
ULTRIX IS NOT 4.2.  IF THEY ASK FOR 4.2,  DON'T ASSUME A CLOSE LOOKALIKE
WILL DO!!  Functionally, from the user level, it's very close,  granted.
BUT....  When  we had a uVAXII here  for  evaluation it had  Ultrix, and
when I wanted to put  in the  /dev/std{in,out,err}  driver and  the load
average  syscall  and  the other  kernel  hacks, guess what I found?  No
kernel  source!  UNIX source comes with it  (for universities).   Ultrix
source costs an obscene amount (we looked  into  getting it).   And UNIX
without  source is pretty pointless (for us; for example, we  had a grad
student here whose thesis  work  would  have been  completely impossible
without  the  kernel  source).   Guess what  we'll  be  doing  with  our
microvaxen!  Right, running 4.3 (if they have it by that time) or moving
4.2 (otherwise).  With UNIX  source, when you find a  bug,  you fix  it.
The  fix is available within  a few  hours, or days for the  tough ones.
With a vendor system like Ultrix, you send in an SPR and hope they deign
to pay attention to it.   Even  when they  do, you're lucky  if  it gets
back, with or without a fix, within a month.

     Sorry for such a long and heated posting, but this sort of attitude
"whaddya  want  4.2 for when you  can have Ultrix for 1000% more" really
gets to me.
--
					der Mouse

USA: {ihnp4,decvax,akgua,etc}!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
     philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse
Europe: mcvax!decvax!utcsri!mcgill-vision!mouse
        mcvax!seismo!cmcl2!philabs!micomvax!musocs!mcgill-vision!mouse

Hacker: One who accidentally destroys /
Wizard: One who recovers it afterward

radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) (12/03/85)

In article <339@mcgill-vision.UUCP> mouse@mcgill-vision.UUCP (der Mouse) writes:
>ULTRIX IS NOT 4.2.  IF THEY ASK FOR 4.2,  DON'T ASSUME A
>CLOSE LOOKALIKE WILL DO!!  Functionally, from the user level,
>it's very close,  granted.

Actually, from the user level, it's not as close as I'd like.  There
are several programs missing, all the /usr/new stuff is absent, and
a few other things along the same lines.

From a programmer's point-of-view, however, it is almost identical.
Binary images from a vanilla 4.2 system will work on an Ultrix
system.  (Guess why I can't remember specific names of programs
that are missing.)

The only problem with having Ultrix instead of 4.2bsd is if you
want to make kernel mods, then:

>No kernel source!  Ultrix source costs an obscene amount.

Yes, you don't get kernel source.  Actually, you should be able
to re-make a bunch of the binary files and libraries direct
from your 4.2 source, but not everything, of course.  The only
real difficulty here is knowing what you can use from the 4.2 source
and what has changed (for example, where is the window-system code).

As for the cost, it is roughly equivalent to the sources for:
	SUN
	Pyramid
	Masscomp
	etc etc ad nauseum

If you need to buy hiked up DEC hardware for some reason or
other, then the fact that the source is available (cheaply)
is a boon, otherwise, getting some non-DEC hardware and
source license is equivalent in cost to getting DEC hardware
and 4.2 source.

>     Sorry for such a long and heated posting, but this sort of attitude
>"whaddya  want  4.2 for when you  can have Ultrix for 1000% more" really
>gets to me.

I agree with the statement here, but I think the poster
sort of flew off the handle a bit.  When you look at things
objectively, there's a lot less of the "whaddya want ..."
attitude than it seems.

Oh.  One other thing.  With Ultrix, you can get DECnet support.
That probably doesn't mean anything to most of you out there,
but here, we're trying to put together a UNIX product, and it *needs*
to have some kind of communication with our existing VMS products.
It really is important.
--
Tim (radzy) Radzykewycz, The Incredible Radical Cabbage
	calma!radzy@ucbvax.ARPA

ber@enea.UUCP (Bjorn Eriksen) (12/06/85)

In article <84@calma.UUCP> radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) writes:
>From a programmer's point-of-view, however, it is almost identical.
>Binary images from a vanilla 4.2 system will work on an Ultrix
>system.

But if we look at the other end, that is Micro-Vax II, you will also
miss all of /usr/man and /usr/games.  I don't bother much about that
but to get rid of the serious security bugs in sendmail, still in
Ultrix 1.1, you can't move a binary image of sendmail from, say a 750
or 780 to a Micro-Vax.

--
	Bjorn Eriksen
	ENEA DATA Sweden

	UUCP:	{seismo,mcvax,cernvax,diku,ircam,prlb2,tut,ukc,unido}!enea!ber
	ARPA:	enea!ber@seismo.arpa

radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) (12/08/85)

In article <1114@enea.UUCP> ber@enea.UUCP (Bjorn Eriksen) writes:
>In article <84@calma.UUCP> radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) writes:
>>From a programmer's point-of-view, however, it is almost identical.
>>Binary images from a vanilla 4.2 system will work on an Ultrix
>>system.

>But if we look at the other end, that is Micro-Vax II, you will also
>miss all of /usr/man and /usr/games.

Yes, that's one of the things in the uVAX-II Ultrix that I miss most.
Normally, I remote login to some other system, and use the man
pages from it.  sigh

>but to get rid of the serious security bugs in sendmail, still in
>Ultrix 1.1, you can't move a binary image of sendmail from, say a 750
>or 780 to a Micro-Vax.

I don't know about Ultrix 1.1.  I'm running 1.2.  Yes, you can
move a binary imagen of sendmail from a 750 running vanilla
4.2 to the uVAX-II with Ultrix 1.2.
--
Tim (radzy) Radzykewycz, The Incredible Radical Cabbage
	calma!radzy@ucbvax.ARPA
	{ucbvax,sun,csd-gould}!calma!radzy

broome@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU (Jonathan C. Broome) (12/09/85)

[line eater go home!]

In article <95@calma.UUCP> radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) writes:
>In article <1114@enea.UUCP> ber@enea.UUCP (Bjorn Eriksen) writes:
>>But if we look at the other end, that is Micro-Vax II, you will also
>>miss all of /usr/man and /usr/games.
>
>Yes, that's one of the things in the uVAX-II Ultrix that I miss most.
>Normally, I remote login to some other system, and use the man
>pages from it.  sigh

Or just use rman, the microVAX is what it was developed for ...

Jonathan C. Broome       University of California, Berkeley

          UUCP    ...!ucbvax!broome
          ARPA    broome@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

ber@enea.UUCP (Bjorn Eriksen) (12/10/85)

In article <95@calma.UUCP> radzy@calma.UUCP (Tim Radzykewycz) writes:
>In article <1114@enea.UUCP> ber@enea.UUCP (Bjorn Eriksen) writes:
>
>> .... you can't move a binary image of sendmail from, say a 750
>>or 780 to a Micro-Vax.
>
>I don't know about Ultrix 1.1.  I'm running 1.2.  Yes, you can
>move a binary imagen of sendmail from a 750 running vanilla
>4.2 to the uVAX-II with Ultrix 1.2.

Ok, my mistake. Sorry. There was no problem moving sendmail. It
was the new config file I used, what else could it be. Nevertheless,
the funny thing was that after recompiling sendmail on the uVAX-II,
I had no problems with the very same config file.