[net.unix] Unix 2.9BSD for 11/73

thompson@apr.UUCP (The Software Warrior) (12/05/85)

I am trying to find out how to put Unix on a PDP 11/73. It is my
understanding that 2.9BSD is essentially equivalent to 4.2BSD except
that 4.2BSD runs on 32bit machines and 2.9 runs on 16 bit machines. Is
this correct ? Is this the best Unix to get for an 11/73 ? Is there a SV
port for this machine ?

I would also like to find out what kind of costs and problems will be
involved in bringing up UNIX (whatever flavor) on this monster. Who can
I contact for information about 2.9BSD and how much would a licsense be
for an 11/73 ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

						Ed Thompson

|  In Real Life       : Edward D. Thompson      |  Just Visiting          |
|  UUCP Address       : ..cbosgd!apr!thompson   |  This Planet            |
|  Compuserve Address : 75136,2024              +-------------------------+
|  Postal Address     : 2715 Tuller Parkway Drive, Dublin, Ohio 43017     |
|  Phone              : (614) 766-6901                                    |
* General Disclaimers, Trade Mark Recognitions, and anything else.......  *

michaelm@bcsaic.UUCP (michael b maxwell) (12/11/85)

In article <132@apr.UUCP> thompson@apr.UUCP writes:
>It is my
>understanding that 2.9BSD is essentially equivalent to 4.2BSD except
>that 4.2BSD runs on 32bit machines and 2.9 runs on 16 bit machines. Is
>this correct ?
If it is correct, has anyone tried porting it to a PC/AT?  And would
Franz Lisp then be available on an AT?
--
Mike Maxwell
Boeing Artificial Intelligence Center