[net.unix] sendmail question

dms@mit-hermes.arpa (David M. Siegel) (12/11/85)

I would like to invoke sendmail to send a message with the receipient
specified in the command like, like 'sendmail foo', and have sendmail
set the sender to the contents of the 'from:' line in the message. I
was wondering if this is possible?

A related question: when I run the mail queue by hand, with
'sendmail -q', all locally delivered messages get a unix 'from ' line
with the invokers userid, and not the expected contents of the 'from:
line in the message. Is there any way to get around this problem?

Thanks,
-Dave

earle@smeagol.UUCP (Greg Earle) (12/14/85)

In article <566@brl-tgr.ARPA>, dms@mit-hermes.arpa (David M. Siegel) writes:
> I would like to invoke sendmail to send a message with the receipient
> specified in the command like, like 'sendmail foo', and have sendmail
> set the sender to the contents of the 'from:' line in the message. I
> was wondering if this is possible?

In 4.2 BSD (at least under Sun) sendmail, -f<name> will set the name of
the from person, if the <name> given is put into the ``trusted'' users
list in sendmail.cf.
-F<fullname> sets the full name of the sender.

	Greg Earle
	Debt Expulsion Laboratory
	sdcrdcf!smeagol!earle
	ia-sun2!smeagol!earle@cit-vax.arpa