[net.unix] Locating a copy of "The Lions Document"

drg@ptsfa.UUCP (Dave Grajada) (12/14/85)

I'm looking for a copy of the "Lions Document". If you have or know where I
can obtain one, I'd appreciate recieving mail from you.

Thanks, in advance.

--
Dave Grajeda	(415) 545-1034	Pacific Bell
				55 New Montgomery

mr@homxb.UUCP (M.RINDSBERG) (12/16/85)

I think this is the document I have been looking for since about
3 years ago. Can you forward its location (i.e. where I can get a copy)

mark

hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) (12/18/85)

  I think this is documentation of version 6, and you need
to have a source license to get this.  Try AT&T Guilford
Center operation in NC (they handle documentation.)
--henry schaffer

dave@ecrcvax.UUCP (David Morton) (12/22/85)

In article <ecsvax.948> hes@ecsvax.UUCP (Henry Schaffer) writes:

>  I think this is documentation of version 6, and you need
>to have a source license to get this.

I thought that Bell or AT & T or whatever they were called at that
time "persuaded" Lyons (not Lions) to forget the idea of publishing this
documment which contains (contained) Bell source code ?
Thus, to my ill informed knowledge, any published copy is illegal. I may
be wrong on this issue. The document is widely available but not officially
published.
--

Dave Morton
Tel. + (49) 89 - 92699 - 139

CSNET: dave%ecrcvax.uucp@germany.csnet
UUCP: seismo!mcvax!unido!ecrcvax!dave

Assuming you mean Prof. Lyons' two documents "The UNIX Version 6
Source Code" and "Commentary on the UNIX Source Code", they are
(kinda obviously) covered by V6 (and ff) source code license.
Last I heard, AT&T had arranged with Prof. Lyons that they were
available only from AT&T, with said license.  (I had heard some
unsubstantiated rumour that AT&T was withdrawing it.)  In any
case, it is only based on V6 and in some rare instances actually
wrong.
--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

ron@cylixd.UUCP (Ronald Boyd) (12/27/85)

In article <182@ecrcvax.UUCP> dave@ecrcvax.UUCP (David Morton) writes:
>I thought that Bell or AT & T or whatever they were called at that
>time "persuaded" Lyons (not Lions) to forget the idea of publishing this
>documment which contains (contained) Bell source code ?
>Thus, to my ill informed knowledge, any published copy is illegal.
>
>Dave Morton

"A Commentary on the UNIX Operating System" and "UNIX Operating
System Source Code Level Six" were published in June, 1977, by
J. Lions of the Department of Computer Science at the University of
New South Wales. The frontspiece of both documents say that
"Outside the Bell System, distribution of this document has been
restricted to holders of a license for the UNIX Time Sharing
Operating System." I recommend that you contact either Mr. John
Lions of New South Wales or AT&T Bell Laboratories for information
on how to obtain a copy of these documents.
Ronald Boyd	({gatech,mcnc}!akgub!cylixd!ron)

The above opinions do not represent anyone's but my own.

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (01/04/86)

In article <182@ecrcvax.UUCP> dave@ecrcvax.UUCP (David Morton) writes:

>I thought that Bell or AT & T or whatever they were called at that
>time "persuaded" Lyons (not Lions) to forget the idea of publishing this
>documment which contains (contained) Bell source code ?
>Thus, to my ill informed knowledge, any published copy is illegal. I may
>be wrong on this issue. The document is widely available but not officially
>published.

That's right, you're wrong. In fact, AT&T is a distributor of the
document.  As part of a Unix source license (for V7 at least) you are
allowed to request one copy. I have one. Pretty expensive book, if you
don't qualify for an educational Unix license and the book was all you
wanted. There are two volumes, a reformatted printout of the V6 source
code, and comments on that source code.
--
 Smokers are the lepers of the 80's.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

In article <7953@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>    ... There are two volumes, a reformatted printout of the V6 source
>code, and comments on that source code.
Note that the first isn't just re-formatted, it is heavily abbreviated
for teaching purposes.

> Smokers are the lepers of the 80's.
Well, of course.  Have you ever  s m e l l e d  one?

--

	Joe Yao		hadron!jsdy@seismo.{CSS.GOV,ARPA,UUCP}

> >    ... There are two volumes, a reformatted printout of the V6 source
> >code, and comments on that source code.
> Note that the first isn't just re-formatted, it is heavily abbreviated
> for teaching purposes.

Mostly, just inessential device drivers were left out.

ron@ron1.UUCP (Ron Saad) (01/09/86)

In article <7953@amdcad.UUCP> phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) writes:
>In article <182@ecrcvax.UUCP> dave@ecrcvax.UUCP (David Morton) writes:
>>
>>I thought that Bell or AT & T or whatever they were called at that
>>time "persuaded" Lyons (not Lions) to forget the idea of publishing this
>>documment which contains (contained) Bell source code ?
>>Thus, to my ill informed knowledge, any published copy is illegal. I may
>>be wrong on this issue. The document is widely available but not officially
>>published.
>
>That's right, you're wrong. In fact, AT&T is a distributor of the
>document.  As part of a Unix source license (for V7 at least) you are
>allowed to request one copy. I have one. Pretty expensive book, if you
>don't qualify for an educational Unix license and the book was all you
>wanted. There are two volumes, a reformatted printout of the V6 source
>code, and comments on that source code.
>--
> Smokers are the lepers of the 80's.
>
> Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
> UUCP: {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!phil
> ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

According to (800) 828-UNIX, they are no longer distributing the
documents.  The person I spoke to said that they 'had kept a copy for
archival purposes' and totally eliminated distribution as of about 6
months ago.  The person said this was due to the document being
'outdated' (since it deals with version 6 code).

Oh well.
Ron.
--
------------the opinions expressed above etc. etc.  --------------

					Ron Saad  (4Z4UY)
					Sys Adm -  Center for Advanced
					Technology in Telecommunications
					Polytechnic Institute of New York

UUCP:	...{ihnp4,seismo}!{philabs,cmcl2}!ron1!ron
MAIL:	333 Jay St. Brooklyn, N.Y. 11201
PHONE:	(718) 643-7303