[net.unix] uucp on SYSV

darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) (01/28/86)

Are there any 3B-2 UNIX wizards out there?  If so, perhaps you can
help answer a question.

Our 3B-2 does not want to work with uucp; it gives error messages not
in the manual: CAN NOT CALL (SYSTEM STATUS) and(RETRY TIME NOT REACHED).
The entry in the Systems file has Any for the time, so it should not
care.

Thanks for any help!
--
Darrell Long
University of California, San Diego

UUCP: sdcsvax!darrell
ARPA: darrell@sdcsvax

honey@down.FUN (Peter Honeyman) (01/30/86)

uucp uses a backoff scheme to avoid immediately retrying calls to
systems that won't cooperate (e.g., modem dead, phone busy, etc.).
you're running honey danber, so it's an exponential backoff.

uustat -q tells you when another attempt can be made.

to subvert this mechanism, delete or truncate
/usr/spool/uucp/.Status/<hostname>.

it can be argued that uucp should ignore the status file when debug
mode is on -- here, i do so if debug level is 5 or more.

	peter

steve@jplgodo.UUCP (Steve Schlaifer x3171 156/224) (01/30/86)

In article <1356@sdcsvax.UUCP>, darrell@sdcsvax.UUCP (Darrell Long) writes:
> Are there any 3B-2 UNIX wizards out there?  If so, perhaps you can
> help answer a question.
>
> Our 3B-2 does not want to work with uucp; it gives error messages not
> in the manual: CAN NOT CALL (SYSTEM STATUS) and(RETRY TIME NOT REACHED).
> The entry in the Systems file has Any for the time, so it should not
> care.

When uucp fails to successfully complete a call (or fails during a call to
successfully complete a transfer), it sets up a file in /usr/spool/uucp
called STST.sitename which includes a wait time.  Until the wait time expires
it won't try to make another call to the same site.  If you look at STST.site
you will see something like

4 1 507497623 3300 DIAL FAILED wlbr

the 3300 is the wait time in seconds.  If you have corrected the problem or
just want to go ahead and try again without waiting for the wait time to
transpire, change the 3300 to 0.  Note that you will have to be root to do
this.
--

...smeagol\			Steve Schlaifer
......wlbr->!jplgodo!steve	Advance Projects Group, Jet Propulsion Labs

hope@gatech.CSNET (Theodore Hope) (01/31/86)

The 'Uutry' shell script (it's in /usr/lib/uucp) can be used to debug uucico
conversations.  Among other things, it has a '-r' option which removes the
status file of the system you are calling, so you don't have to wait for the
retry time delay.  Read the doc, it's there.  You can also look at the script
itself.

Ex:   Uutry -r -x9 sysname
--
Theodore Hope
School of Information & Computer Science, Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

> Our 3B-2 does not want to work with uucp; it gives error messages not
> in the manual: CAN NOT CALL (SYSTEM STATUS) and(RETRY TIME NOT REACHED).
> The entry in the Systems file has Any for the time, so it should not care.

	``CAN NOT CALL (SYSTEM STATUS)'' is generally the result of the calling
device (i.e., ACU, DIR, etc.) being locked (i.e., busy or in possible trouble)
at the time when the call request is is generated by uux.

	``RETRY TIME NOT REACHED'' is generally the result of a uucico failure
on the PREVIOUS call attempt, with the NEW call attempt (as a result of a new
uux request) being BEFORE the next time uudemon.hour runs.  This is a slight
oversimplification, because if eight uucico failures have been tallied, then
uudemon.hour won't try to call the specific site again until after the
uudemon.cleanu runs (generally once per day).  The retry logic is not well
documented, but the above is my observation of its behavior in our 3B2's.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/741-9185                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

clive@druri.UUCP (StewardCN) (02/06/86)

You can also use Uutry -r to get another attempt before the
timeout....