[net.unix] Micro-Vax Tape Cartridges

fostel@ncsu.UUCP (01/21/86)

    We have just aquired two spiffy new ULTRIX machines here at NCSU and
    they are just fine ... except.  They contain a cute tape drive that
    seems to be some varient on a streaming tape, and they have a good
    capacity if only we could find some of the tape cartridges.  DEC says
    they will have some to ship around 1995 and for now we are running
    withno hope of backups (short of little mountains of floppies).

    Can anyone suggest a supplier who might have some, or else a compatible
    cartridge from a non-DEC source?  We are on thin ice here without any
    backup.  Perhaps its asking a lot but does anyone have JUST ONE that we
    could buy or borrow for a little while?  Thanks.
----GaryFostel----

    ...mcnc!ncsu!fostel  or (919) 737-7920  or CSC Department
					       NC State University
					       Raleigh NC, 27695-8206

mlr0@bunny.UUCP (Martin Resnick) (01/23/86)

>     We have just aquired two spiffy new ULTRIX machines here at NCSU and
>     they are just fine ... except.  They contain a cute tape drive that
>     seems to be some varient on a streaming tape, and they have a good
>     capacity if only we could find some of the tape cartridges.  DEC says
>     they will have some to ship around 1995 and for now we are running
>     withno hope of backups (short of little mountains of floppies).
>
>     Can anyone suggest a supplier who might have some, or else a compatible
>     cartridge from a non-DEC source?  We are on thin ice here without any
>     backup.  Perhaps its asking a lot but does anyone have JUST ONE that we
>     could buy or borrow for a little while?  Thanks.
> ----GaryFostel----

I believe that TK50 cartridges are only available from Digital at $30 each!!

Did you try DEC Direct at 1 800 258 1710?

sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) (01/25/86)

Indeed, TK50 cartridges are available ONLY from Digital for $29.  When I
contacted a Digital representative, he said that they are made by 3M under
a special agreement.  Supposedly, they will only be available through Digital
for a year.

Sean
Sean Casey                             UUCP:  sean@ukma.UUCP   or
915 Patterson Office Tower                    {cbosgd,anlams,hasmed}!ukma!sean
University of Kentucky                 ARPA:  ukma!sean@ANL-MCS.ARPA
Lexington, Ky. 40506-0027            BITNET:  sean@UKMA.BITNET

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (02/04/86)

In article <2591@ukma.UUCP>, sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
> Indeed, TK50 cartridges are available ONLY from Digital for $29.

Not strictly true.  I was quoted 2 months delivery from DEC, and got
2 week delivery from an OEM (a lucky break, admittedly).

--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

tankus@hsi.UUCP (Ed Tankus) (02/06/86)

> In article <2591@ukma.UUCP>, sean@ukma.UUCP (Sean Casey) writes:
> > Indeed, TK50 cartridges are available ONLY from Digital for $29.
>
> Not strictly true.  I was quoted 2 months delivery from DEC, and got
> 2 week delivery from an OEM (a lucky break, admittedly).
>
> --
> 	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
> 	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037
> 	{cbosgd,ihnp4,pyramid,sdcsvax,ucla-cs}!gould9!joel
> 	gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA

As I understand it, the reason for the shortage is because the tape maker (3M)
recalled most of the tapes. You should be careful when buying TK50 cartridges:
if they don't say DEC (Digital, etc.) you could be buying an UNFORMATTED tape.
That's right. These tapes ARE preformatted. Formatting a tape can ONLY be done
under VMS (from what I am told) and these routines may not generally be
available to the public.

Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with DEC. This is a buyer-beware public service
            announcement.
--

    "   For every word there is a song upon which inspiration lies ..."

    Ed Tankus
    Net  :  {noao!ihnp4!yale!}!hsi!tankus
    Snail:  Health Systems Int'l, 100 Broadway, New Haven, CT 06511