[net.unix] ps bug ?

rbc@houxu.UUCP (R.CONNAGHAN) (02/05/86)

Help, is this a bug with the "ps" command?

Type at UNIX prompt:

    ps -F

Get error message and core file:

    Bad system call - core dumped

This is a valid form of the "ps" command according to the
On-line manual page and the usage message printed by the "ps" command.
This flag is not in my latest UNIX manual: System V, Release 2.
When executed it yields a core dump.

The ps command will print out the following usage message:

    usage: ps [ -edalfF ] [ -c corefile ] [ -s swapdev ]\
	    [ -n namelist ] [ -t tlist ]\
	    [ -p plist ] [ -u ulist ] [ -g glist ] [ -G FSSlist ]

The on-line manual page explains the F flag as follows:

    -F	Print the fair share group process assocation.

I have tried this on a 3B-20 and a VAX and have gotten the same result.

Output of "uname -a" command to identify systems:
    System 1: houxu houxu SV_R2 10020 3B-20S
    System 2: houxv houxv 2.0v2 11240 vax-780

I have two questions:
	Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
	What does the "-F" flag mean?
--
Robert Connaghan
WE 32100 Microprocessor Group

pdg@ihdev.UUCP (P. D. Guthrie) (02/05/86)

In article <738@houxu.UUCP> rbc@houxu.UUCP (R.CONNAGHAN) writes:
>Help, is this a bug with the "ps" command?
>
>Type at UNIX prompt:
>
>    ps -F
>
>Get error message and core file:
>
>    Bad system call - core dumped

>The on-line manual page explains the F flag as follows:
>
>    -F	Print the fair share group process assocation.

>I have two questions:
>	Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
>	What does the "-F" flag mean?
>--

I think this is actually quite simple.  A fair share group is "a group of
processes associated with the same resource consumption rate" (AT&T BLTJ
October 1984 V63. No.8 Part 2, _The_Fair_Share_Scheduler_, G.J. Henry)
which more or less boils down to a replacement for the standard UNIX
scheduler.  The -F flag obviously displays the group the the process is
in.  Actually most of our local machines do use this beast, and `ps -F'
does work as advertised.  The problem is that ps tries to do an illegal
system call to get fsg info (which of course your kernel knows nothing
about).  The fix is to conditionally compile this code in, depending on
whether fsg's exist on your system or not to use it at all.  Hope this
helps.

--

Paul Guthrie				`When the going gets weird,
ihnp4!ihdev!pdg				 The weird turn pro'

ecc@ihuxj.UUCP (Eric C. Claeys) (02/07/86)

> Help, is this a bug with the "ps" command?
>
> Type at UNIX prompt:
>
>     ps -F
>
> Get error message and core file:
>
>     Bad system call - core dumped
>
> This is a valid form of the "ps" command according to the
> On-line manual page and the usage message printed by the "ps" command.
> This flag is not in my latest UNIX manual: System V, Release 2.

> The on-line manual page explains the F flag as follows:
>
>     -F	Print the fair share group process assocation.

> I have two questions:
> 	Is this a bug or am I doing something wrong?
> 	What does the "-F" flag mean?

>>     ps -F
>>
>> Get error message and core file:
>>
>>     Bad system call - core dumped
>>
>> This is a valid form of the "ps" command according to the
>> On-line manual page and the usage message printed by the "ps" command.
>> This flag is not in my latest UNIX manual: System V, Release 2.

>> The on-line manual page explains the F flag as follows:
>>
>>     -F	Print the fair share group process assocation.

Now that you guys have the whole world wondering, could you
please tell us:
	(1)  What is Division 452 and how does it relate to the
	commercial UNIX System V product and/or the SVID?
	(2)  How can we get hold of DIV 452 manuals?

tg@sfmin.UUCP (T.Glinos) (02/12/86)

> Now that you guys have the whole world wondering, could you
> please tell us:
> 	(1)  What is Division 452 and how does it relate to the
> 	commercial UNIX System V product and/or the SVID?

Division 452 is a Bell Labs organization located in Ill.
They have traditionally hacked the standard System V release to
provide various features (like the Fair Shair Schedualer) and
functionality that DIV 452 and other AT&T entities have come
to rely on.
These people are in no way related to the SVID editors/writers.
They are not related to the Information Systems organization
that produces the commercial UNIX System V product.

> 	(2)  How can we get hold of DIV 452 manuals?

I may be incorrect but I don't think you can get DIV 452 manuals.
They are probably concidered propriatery [sp?].