[net.unix] Nedd help connecting a VAX

asfour@cernvax.UUCP (02/14/86)

I need to connect a UNIX system (System 5, v3.x) to a VAX750. I have
been successfull in comunicating from UNIX to VMS via 'cu'. But
how can I connect from the VAX to the UNIX machine??

If you have any hints - or even the answer please let me know.

UUCP:  ...!cernvax!asfour
Mail:  Andy A. Asfour, Switzerland

jso@edison.UUCP (John Owens) (02/19/86)

> I need to connect a UNIX system (System 5, v3.x) to a VAX750. I have
> been successfull in comunicating from UNIX to VMS via 'cu'. But
> how can I connect from the VAX to the UNIX machine??

If you have VMS V4.0 or later, you can use SET HOST/DTE.

Let's say the line from the VMS system to the UNIX system is VMS line
TTA0.  Then (if you want non-privileged users to be able to do this too),
	SET PROT=(W:RWLP)/DEV TTA0:
	SET TERM TTA0:/PERM/SPEED=####/whatever-else-you-need
and put this in your systartup for future boots.

Then to use the line, just say
	SET HOST/DTE TTA0:

If you don't have VMS4, you can do this with VMS-Kermit, a widely available
file transfer program.  You'll want to get Kermit for your UNIX system also,
to have a nice way to transfer files.  For information on how to get Kermit
in Europe, contact <mcvax!seismo!cu20b.columbia.edu!sy.fdc>.

--

			   John Owens
	    edison!jso%virginia@CSNet-Relay.ARPA

burati@ulowell.UUCP (Michael R. Burati) (02/20/86)

In article <274@cernvax.UUCP> asfour@cernvax.UUCP (asfour) writes:
>I need to connect a UNIX system (System 5, v3.x) to a VAX750. I have
>been successfull in comunicating from UNIX to VMS via 'cu'. But
>how can I connect from the VAX to the UNIX machine??

	Assuming that you are using VMS 4.0 or higher, the command
"SET HOST/DTE" command should work fine connecting to your unix, or
most any other machine.

	I believe that you will have to set the outgoing port on the
VMS machine to NOTYPEAHEAD so that it will not allow logins and you
may want to set the ALTYPEAHEAD to allow buffering on the VMS end.

Michael Burati
University of Lowell
Computer Science Dept.
Lowell, MA