[net.unix] Status line entries in termcap

de@dcl-cs.UUCP (David England) (02/20/86)

Keywords:termcap status
Xpath: ukc eagle

Status line entries are used in /etc/termcap but not mentioned in the
documentation. Does anyone have any info on hs: es: and ts: ?

Thanks		Dave

--
"Nostra patria e il mondo, Nostra legge e la liberta,
 Ed un pensiero, Ribelli in cuor si sta."

jso@edison.UUCP (John Owens) (02/24/86)

> Status line entries are used in /etc/termcap but not mentioned in the
> documentation. Does anyone have any info on hs: es: and ts: ?

The status line entries are as follows (as used by sysline):

	hs	Boolean		Terminal has status line
	es	Boolean		OK to use so/se on status line
	i2	String		Second init string - printed by sysline
	ts	String		To status line; should clear unused part
	fs	String		From status line; returns to previous loc
	ds	String		Disable status line; printed with sysline
				is sent a SIGHUP
--

			   John Owens
	    edison!jso%virginia@CSNet-Relay.ARPA

wagner@uw-june.UUCP (02/26/86)

In article <1004@dcl-cs.UUCP>, de@dcl-cs.UUCP (David England) writes:
> Status line entries are used in /etc/termcap but not mentioned in the
> documentation. Does anyone have any info on hs: es: and ts: ?

Well, you can infer what they mean by how sysline(1) uses them.
From what I can tell,

		hs - Has Status line (boolean)
		ts - move To Status line (string)
		fs - return From Status line (string)
		ds - Delete Status line (string)

Sysline checks for the hs field;  if not found, it exits with the message
"No status capability for {termtype}".  Every write to the status line
is preceded by the ts string and followed by the fs string.  When the
program receives the hangup signal, it sends the ds string.
I haven't seen "es" used anywhere.

Incidentally:  sysline uses the file ".syslinelock" as a binary semaphore.
If you want to temporarily stop sysline from updating the status line,
you just have to create this file.  To resume the updates, remove the file.
This is useful when doing rlogin.  If the remote machine is going to run
sysline, you would want to alias rlogin to something like:
'cat < /dev/null > .syslinelock; /usr/ucb/rlogin \!*; rm .syslinelock'

			Dave Wagner
			University of Washington Comp Sci Department
			wagner@washington.arpa
			{ihnp4,decvax,ucbvax}!uw-beaver!wagner

"Music critics are people who can't write, writing about
 people who can't hear, for people who can't read."
	- Frank Zappa

hansen@pegasus.UUCP (Tony L. Hansen) (02/28/86)

<	ts	String		To status line; should clear unused part

According to my documentation, the "ts" termcap string, aka the "tsl"
terminfo string, takes a single parameter indicating the column within the
status line to go to.

					Tony Hansen
					ihnp4!pegasus!hansen

hakanson@orstcs.UUCP (hakanson) (02/28/86)

/***** orstcs:net.unix / edison!jso /  7:22 am  Feb 24, 1986*/
Subject: Status line entries in termcap

The status line entries are as follows (as used by sysline):

	hs	Boolean		Terminal has status line
	es	Boolean		OK to use so/se on status line
	i2	String		Second init string - printed by sysline
	ts	String		To status line; should clear unused part
	fs	String		From status line; returns to previous loc
	ds	String		Disable status line; printed with sysline
				is sent a SIGHUP
--

			   John Owens
	    edison!jso%virginia@CSNet-Relay.ARPA

You forgot:
	ws	Numeric		Width of status line, if diff. than "co".

I have a version of sysline with bugs fixed (it works with magic-cookie
terminals), if anyone's interested (mail to me, please)....

Marion Hakanson         CSnet:  hakanson%oregon-state@csnet-relay
                        UUCP :  {hp-pcd,tektronix}!orstcs!hakanson