[net.unix] your chance to recommend a system setup

jay@isis.UUCP (Jay) (03/25/86)

/* please take this, my sacrifice, oh great line eater and spare our village */

I chose the large distribution to get everyone who might be interested.
I hope I don't start flames just because of that.....

Everybody has a scam.  Mee too.  I have a small little plan that I'm going to
try to implement.  And before I do, I'd like to get the opinion of all wise and
knowledgable netters.  Since I'm expecting a bit of traffic, you might make the
net traffic a bit less, and keep the bill payers real happy if you mail
your responses.  I'll be sure to summarize replies of mail responses; of course,
if you feel like anybody else really cares what you think, feel free to let
the world know just what kind of person you really are...

My plan involves (yet another) on-line database.  The database will deal
with stuff that is of interest primarily locally (statewide), so simply
supplying it to DIALOG, BRS, ... is probably silly; after all - why load
access charges up with network fees if not needed.  I'm guessing that
average prime time load will start with 3 - 4 constant users, hopefully
growing to an avg. load of 30 - 40 users, with peak of double that,
and nights only several.  The database will be +/- 150 meg of info, including
all indices!  95% of users are expected to be 1200 baud outsiders, so
smart I/O boards would be helpful I expect.

I already run a business that operates a (primarily non-on-line) database
of info that is printed/published, and am using an NCR Tower 1632 (68000,
Ver 7).  It flails along doing all it can to keep up with the demands
placed on it (which I might add are fairly high).  But I must say that
this next venture will be more than even NCR's newest Tower '32' could be
expected to handle.  So I'll need to be looking at bigger systems.

Therein lies your chance to shine.  I'd like to know what your opinion would
be if you were asked to name a system that a small on-line database should
run on.  We clearly want to stick with UNIX; all our code will be 'C' code; and
probably most important, I CAN'T TIE EVERYTHING I HAVE UP IN A SYSTEM!!
Since I don't think we'll even be able to justify more than a $50K expenditure,
I'm limiting the choices off the bat.  But I'm open to looking at used machines.

Your responses should be full of personal opinions, but SHOULD BE INFORMED!!
I would like specific opinions about the following:

	1)  Hardware bullet-proofness.
	2)  OS implementation: version, time in service, faithfulness
	    to 'n' version.
	3)  'open'ness of architecture.  I think computer manufacturers
	    charge too much for peripherals, and I'll want to pick and
	    choose, and adding device drivers can't be a 'mystery' process,
	    nor do I want to be a pioneer and have to write my own
	    drivers for every tom, disk and tape I want to add.
	4)  availability of board level modems, or other ways to get
	    around having dozens of Hayes' sitting next to the system.
	5)  need for specialized environment, e.g. air conditioned rooms, ...
	6)  cost of additional board memory, and max hardware limits.
	7)  AVG cost of some given setup new AND used if you know.  If
	    you make assumptions, state them.
	8)  generally why you like it.

Persons on the net at manufacturers sites, you are welcome to contribute,
but please - supply ME the name of your Colorado sales rep, and let ME
call HIM.  This is primarily meant as an exercise in net opinion, not
manufacturer sales pitches.

I'm fairly sure I'll be overwhelmed by responses, so I'll say now that I
won't have time to respond with thanks to all individually.  So here is
a true blue thanks in advance to all who will take the time to flame for
all they're worth.

				Jay Batson

				{hplabs, seismo}!hao!isis!jay

From postnews Mon Mar 24 23:39:28 1986
Subject: your chance to recommend a system setup
Newsgroups: net.unix,net.unix-wizards,net.database,mod.computers

/* please take this, my sacrifice, oh great line eater and spare our village */

I chose the large distribution to get everyone who might be interested.
Moderators, please assist in adjusting distribution if you feel I've booboo'd.

Everybody has a scam.  Mee too.  I have a small little plan that I'm going to
try to implement.  And before I do, I'd like to get the opinion of all wise and
knowledgable netters.  Since I'm inviting responses, you might make the
Moderators of the moderated groups I place this in real happy if you mail
your responses.  I'll be sure to summarize replies of mail responses, and
if you read this in a non-moderated group, feel free to let the world know
[...]

I'd even be open to looking at used machines.

Your responses should be full of personal opinions, but SHOULD BE INFORMED!!
I would like specific opinions about the following:

	1)  Hardware bullet-proofness.
	2)  OS implementation: version, time in service, faithfulness
	    to 'n' version.
	3)  'open'ness of architecture.  I think computer manufacturers
	    charge too much for peripherals, and I'll want to pick and
	    choose, and adding device drivers can't be a 'mystery' process,
	    and I don't want to be a pioneer, and have to write my own
	    drivers for every tom dick and disc I want to add.
[...]

In article <403@isis.UUCP> jay@isis.UUCP (Jay) writes lots of stuff -
in fact, a mistake in editing got TWO copies of my article distributed.
Since my site administrator is asleep at midnight, I humbly apologize, and
respectfully request local administrators to edit it in half.  Please
notify your local news administrator.   SOOORRRRYYY guys/gals.

					Jay Batson
					{hplabs, seismo}!hao!isis!jay
					Marvin, why do you let things like
					this happen?  You with a brain the