[net.unix] Unix

bsg (09/02/82)

I was recently in Colombia, at a conference, and was approached by
someone who had heard there was UNIX (tm) available for IBM System 1
and wanted more info.  I was approached because I work for the labs,
and it therefore follows that I know about UNIX...  However, I know
nothing about such things, but agreed to try to find out something.
If anyone has any information, please contact me.  BUT please don't
send ME hoards of info.  If you have some good pointers, by all
means send them.  But if you have lots of info, please mail (paper
type) directly to the following address:

		Juan Manuel Osorno G.
		Jefe de Sistemizacion
		FACOMEC S. A.
		A.A. 4534
		Cali, Colombia.

As far as I know, they have no usenet link!

Thanks in advance.

				Billie Goldstein
				...!npois!bsg
				(201) 922-7274
				Bell Labs
				Neptune NJ
				 | | |
				 |_|_|

dyer@atari.UUcp (Landon Dyer) (02/16/86)

UNIX ist ein eingetragenes Warenzeichen der Bell Laboratories.

Any of you legal beagles know if a standard UNIX* disclaimer is required
to be in the same language as the rest of the text?  (I suspect so, but
the possibilities are endless.  Sanskrit?  Swahili?)

:-)

(*UNIX is a trademark of Bell Laboratories.)

tue@olamb.UUCP (Tue Bertelsen) (02/18/86)

How many versions of this copyright message do there exist? Some write
<Bell Labs> at the end, others <AT&T>, <AT&T I.S.>, <AT&T Bell Labs> ...

As far as I know, the *correct* way to put it today is:

	UNIX is a trademark of AT&T

	(source: all AT&T manuals for 3B-series)

So, good bye bell labs ......

Anyway, of course you can use national versions of the copyright message.
All international companies do that, even IBM. So here is a Danish version
just to demonstrate the silly way, that we have to represent out national
characters ({|} and [\]) in the 7-bit character set, until the real thing
(8-bit UNIX) comes along:

	UNIX er et varem{rke tilh|rende AT&T.

--
						Tue Bertelsen
						AmbraSoft A/S

davy@pur-ee.UUCP (Dave Curry) (02/20/86)

I called AT&T (1-800-FOR-UNIX - cute, huh?) about this about a month ago
to find out for sure.  The lady checked to make sure, and reported that
the correct blurb is:

	UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

--Dave Curry
Purdue University Engineering Computer Network

peter@utah-gr.UUCP (Peter S. Ford) (02/22/86)

>I called AT&T (1-800-FOR-UNIX - cute, huh?) about this about a month ago

But what about SMC (1-800-USA-4SUN).   They are all beginning to look like relief
agencies to me.  Please send your pennies ....

jel@uel (J. Eli Lamb ) (03/16/86)

>> I called AT&T (1-800-FOR-UNIX - cute, huh?) about this about a month ago
>> to find out for sure.  The lady checked to make sure, and reported that
>> the correct blurb is:
>>
>> 	UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.

I'm sorry but you were mis-informed.  Within the USA, the correct usage is

	UNIX is a trademark of AT&T.

For most countries outside the USA (including all of Europe), it is

	UNIX is a trademark of AT&T is the U.S.A. and other countries.

===
J. Eli Lamb	{mcvax!ukc!}uel!jel

	Technical Support Manager
 	UNIX Europe Limited,		phone:	+44 1 785-6972
 	27A Carlton Drive,		fax:	+44 1 785-6916
 	London SW15 2BS, UK		telex:	914054	UNIXTM G

In article <546@uel>, jel@uel (J. Eli Lamb ) writes:
> >> I called AT&T (1-800-FOR-UNIX - cute, huh?) about this about a month ago
> >> to find out for sure.  The lady checked to make sure, and reported that
> >> the correct blurb is:
> >> 	UNIX is a trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories.
>
> I'm sorry but you were mis-informed.  Within the USA, the correct usage is
> 	UNIX is a trademark of AT&T.
> For most countries outside the USA (including all of Europe), it is
> 	UNIX is a trademark of AT&T is the U.S.A. and other countries.

	Well, I have a copy of a THREE PAGE document from AT&T Technologies
entitled "Use of the Trademark UNIX (tm)", otherwise known as "Everything
You Always Wanted to Know About the Use of the Trademark UNIX (tm) but were
Afraid to Ask"...
	This document, which is about a year old says "UNIX is an unregistered
trademark of AT&T Bell Laboratories".  The document has such gems of knowledge
as:

	"C1. The trademark UNIX may not be used as a known, but must always
be used as an adjective modifying a common noun..."
	"C3. The trademark UNIX may not be used in a hyphenated expression
as `UNIX-based' or `UNIX-like.'"
	"D3. It is inappropriate to use the trademark UNIX in any label
(such as file name, subroutine call or the like) in any software."

	Beware of improper use of UNIX - the FBU [Federal Bureau of UNIX]
will getcha!
	Seriously though, I wonder why AT&T never registered the trademark;
I would think that if AT&T was really serious about usage enforcement, they
would have made the effort at registration.

==>  Larry Lippman @ Recognition Research Corp., Clarence, New York        <==
==>  UUCP    {decvax|dual|rocksanne|rocksvax|watmath}!sunybcs!kitty!larry  <==
==>  VOICE   716/688-1231                {rice|shell}!baylor!/             <==
==>  FAX     716/741-9635 {G1, G2, G3 modes}    duke!ethos!/               <==
==>                                               seismo!/                 <==
==>  "Have you hugged your cat today?"           ihnp4!/                   <==

In article <895@kitty.UUCP> larry@kitty.UUCP writes:

[quoting from an AT&T document concerning use of the trademark]
>	"D3. It is inappropriate to use the trademark UNIX in any label
>(such as file name, subroutine call or the like) in any software."

I guess that means we should be booting off /vmun*x (/un*x for you
non-virtual-memory folks) and that we had better change the boot
loader routine `copyunix()' to `copyun_x()'....  :-)

(Incidentally, I had---just for fun---actually already done the
latter once, while editing boot.c.)
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1415)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (03/24/86)

In article <895@kitty.UUCP>, larry@kitty.UUCP (Larry Lippman) writes:
> 	Seriously though, I wonder why AT&T never registered the trademark;
> I would think that if AT&T was really serious about usage enforcement, they
> would have made the effort at registration.

I believe, since AT&T wasn't legally in the computer businness when they
developed UNIX, they probably didn't want to/couldn't make overt acts towards
acting like they were.

No one doubts that AT&T has many well-paid lawyers.  The general consensus
is that if AT&T could register the trademark, they would.

> 	"C3. The trademark UNIX may not be used in a hyphenated expression
> as `UNIX-based' or `UNIX-like.'"

I believe AT&T is trying to scare (convince) the UNIX community into
giving their unregistered trademark more protection than it has been
given in the past, in order to avoid having UNIX becoming a generic
(and thus unprotectable) term.  There are two interesting precedents:

	1. "Xerox", as in "xerox this for me, will you?"  The
	   Xerox Corp. ran a "public awareness" campaign about 3 years
	   ago, at the same time "TV Guide" did.  Both were aimed at
	   journalists in particular, because of:

	2. The Monsanto decision.  The word "Formica" was held by the
	   Supreme Court to be a generic term for laminated materials
	   (much like "aspirin") because Monsanto had not taken effort
	   to protect their product.

There's no problem, I believe, in calling something a "trademark of..."
as long as no one else has registered the term.  If two companies
have a similar, un-registered trademark, I don't know what happens.

Did I mention that the MacDonalds Corp. is suing all Macintosh
developers (including Apple) for use of the term 'Mac' as a modifier
in any product name (MacDraw, MacWrite, MacTutor, etc...)

> 	Seriously though, I wonder why AT&T never registered the trademark;
> I would think that if AT&T was really serious about usage enforcement, they
> would have made the effort at registration.

I believe they ran afoul of problems with UNIX already being an (obscure)
trademark for one or two other things.  Registration has stronger uniqueness
requirements than just using it as a trademark.
--
				Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology