[net.unix] Daylight Saving Time

njh@root44.UUCP (Nigel Horne) (04/03/85)

Not only 4.2BSD, but also System V. Ho hum, still the week soon went by.

Nigel Horne	<njh@root44.UUCP>
Root Computers Ltd.
{deccra,edai,glasgow,hirst1,ist,kcl-cs,qmc-cs,rlvd,pmllab,stc-a,ubu,
	ukc,unisoft}!root44!rootcl!njh

dk@sysdes.UUCP (04/02/86)

The current version (USG at least) of localtime in UNIX
allows you to set whether a time zome has Daylight Saving Time, but
no obvious method of changing the days on which DST takes effect.

The UK (please correct me if I err) seems to resort to Parliamentary
announcements (or other black arts) to set DST, so hard-wiring
it as now is not on.

I've seen versions on some U*X systems which append numbers to the
TZ environment variable, and it wouldn't be hard to make our system do the
same. However, it would be nice to know whether anyone knows of
a fairly *standard* fix, so that there won't be a proliferation
of slightly different and nonportable versions.

neil@uk.ac.man.cs.ux (Neil Todd) (04/02/86)

In article <234@sysdes.UUCP> dk@sysdes.UUCP writes:
.
.

>The UK (please correct me if I err) seems to resort to Parliamentary
>announcements (or other black arts) to set DST, so hard-wiring
>it as now is not on.

Stand corrected, I've had the following ctime.c in various machines
for some time now.

/*
 * The European tables ... based on hearsay
 * Believed correct for:
 *	WE:	Great Britain(WRONG use gbdaytab), Portugal?
 *	ME:	Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Denmark, Norway,
 *		Austria, Poland, Czechoslovakia, Sweden, Switzerland,
 *		DDR, DBR, France, Spain, Hungary, Italy, Jugoslavia
 *		Finland (EE timezone, but ME dst rules)
 * Eastern European dst is unknown, we'll make it ME until someone speaks up.
 *	EE:	Bulgaria, Greece, Rumania, Turkey, Western Russia
 *
 * Ireland is unpredictable.  (Years when Easter Sunday just happens ...)
 * Years before 1983 are suspect.
 */

/* NCT addition */
static struct dstab gbdaytab[] = {
	0,	91,	303,
};

What DOES really bug me is that only Britain and Portugal use what
Unix calls WET (Western European Time). Why, oh why can't they just
let us use GMT and BST (British Summer Time). I'm pretty sure that
there are more sites in Britain than in Portugal. I asked UCB
but was met with a deafening silence.