[net.unix] PC/AT Function Keys under Xenix

west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) (04/08/86)

I am in desparate need of information on how to use the
PC/AT's function keys under Xenix.  I just installed
the IBM distribution of Xenix on an AT.  IBM's distribution
number is 1.00, which is Microsoft's Xenix 3.0.

I was surprised to find that pressing any of the ten function
keys has absolutely no effect on the computer.  It is as though
Xenix doesn't acknowledge their existence.  I have pored over
the documentation for information on how to activate the
function keys, but to no avail.  I imagine that there is some
way to do it, but IBM apparently has done a good job of hiding
it!

I have had to resort to hooking up a vt100 terminal to the
serial port for use with the software that I am developing,
since the software requires the use of the function keys,
but in the long run I need to find out how to make the
software work with the AT and its function keys.

If anyone out there knows how to do this, PLEASE get in
touch.  I will accept collect calls at my office.  Just
call collect, person-to-person for "Mr. Xenix" so that
I'll know why I'm getting the call.

Thanks!

Steve Westfall		      uucp:    ihnp4!gargoyle!west
Univ. of Chicago
Graduate School of Business

Phone:  (312) 231-6054  (8:30 AM - 5:00 PM CST)

ron@dsi1.UUCP (Ron Flax) (04/09/86)

In article <400@gargoyle.UUCP> west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) writes:
>I am in desparate need of information on how to use the
>PC/AT's function keys under Xenix.  I just installed
>the IBM distribution of Xenix on an AT.  IBM's distribution
>number is 1.00, which is Microsoft's Xenix 3.0.

there is a command called 'setkey', if you simply type:

	% setkey<RETURN>

you will get a usage message.

I think it goes like..

	% setkey KEY_NO "STRING-TO-SEND"

You can put the command in /etc/profile or .profile or .login so that
things will get set everytime a user logs in on the console.

--
Ron Flax  (ron@vsedev.UUCP)
UUCP:	..!seismo!vsedev!ron

west@gargoyle.UUCP (Steve Westfall) (04/11/86)

In article <400@gargoyle.UUCP> I wrote:

>I am in desparate need of information on how to use the
>PC/AT's function keys under Xenix.
>. . . I was surprised to find that pressing any of the
>ten function keys has absolutely no effect on the computer.

Since this posting I received several calls and messages
about how to solve this problem.  IBM's Xenix 1.00 (= Microsoft's
3.0) has a "setkey" command which allows one to load an arbitrary
string into a function key.  Its format is:

			setkey keynum "string"

Example:	setkey 1 "who"

This loads the "who" command into function key one.  I included
such commands in my .login and .profile files to load Ansi
escape sequences into all ten function keys.  (I also tried
doing this in the /etc/rc file, hoping to get a permanent
assignment that would be valid whenever anyone logs in, but
this does not seem to work.)

My thanks to everyone who responded!

Steve Westfall		      uucp:    ihnp4!gargoyle!west
Univ. of Chicago
Graduate School of Business

chris@aquila.UUCP (chris) (04/11/86)

Using IBM (Microsoft) XENIX 1.00, you have to program the device driver to
tell it what to deliver when a function key is typed.  To program the
function keys, see console(M) in the manuals. I placed an initialization
string (is=) into the termcap for ansi which sets the function keys up to
generate ANSI sequences.

Actually, this is overkill, because it only needs to be done once after the
machine is booted; you could place the initialization elsewhere and cat it
to the terminal when you re-boot. This saves mucking about in /etc/termcap.

As I recall, sending the terminal
	ESC Q n "code sequence for Function key n"
will program key n. Note that n ranges from 0 to 9, even though the
keys are labelled F1-F10. The double quotes can be changed to something
NOT in the code sequence if you wanted quotes in there. Be sure what
goes in the quotes is what you want your program to see -- that is,
if you use termcap, have k0 thru k9 expect these sequences.

I agree that the manuals are hard to read -- this has already been discussed.
--

	Chris Retterath, Consensys Corporation, Toronto, Canada.
	{allegra|decvax|duke|ihnp4|linus|watmath}!utzoo!dciem!aquila!chris