[net.unix] CP/M running under Unix

msitd22@ms3.UUCP (Jim Chappell) (04/24/86)

Our site has a Sytek LAN acting as a front-end (terminal logins)
and controlled by a UNIX-based  Network Control Center (NCC).
We have an Ungerman-Bass (UB) LAN serving the back-end (file transfers)
and controlled by a CP/M-based NCC.

We're inteested in moving the UB NCC to the same UNIX box serving the
Sytek NCC.

Are there any CP/M emulators out there that would allow this?

Thanks,
--
Jim Chappell  ...!seismo!vrdxhq!ms3!jrc
ISN Corp.

sytek@tekgen.UUCP (Mike Ewan) (04/28/86)

In article <389@ms3.UUCP> msitd22@ms3.UUCP (Jim Chappell) writes:
>Our site has a Sytek LAN acting as a front-end (terminal logins)
>and controlled by a UNIX-based  Network Control Center (NCC).
>We have an Ungerman-Bass (UB) LAN serving the back-end (file transfers)
>and controlled by a CP/M-based NCC.
>
>We're inteested in moving the UB NCC to the same UNIX box serving the
>Sytek NCC.
>
>Are there any CP/M emulators out there that would allow this?

We at Tek also have a Sytek LAN and NCC's.  We have also evaluated the
UB LAN's.

From what I've heard, even if you can find a CP/M emulator for unix, it's
going to be EXTREMELY slow.  Anyway, the UB software running on the NCC isn't
going to know where to find it's NIU.  In other words, what you want to do
won't work.

My suggestion is to trade in your UB NCF on one of their NMC's.  This unit
is a IBM PC/XT (works in an AT also) with a PC-NIU installed.  I think your
running something like Ver. 10 software on your NCF.  The current version
on the NMC is 14.  This version uses windows instead of all the boring menus
on version 10, and is about 4 times faster.  It also supports all UB's
new 180, 130, and 74/78 products.

If you already have an XT or AT around you can just buy the PC-NIU and
software.

Mike Ewan
Broadband Network Operations
Tektronix Inc.
PO Box 500  MS 19-442
Beaverton OR 97077

(All the opinions herein are those of the author only)

clewis@mnetor.UUCP (Chris Lewis) (05/03/86)

In article <22@tekgen.UUCP> sytek@tekgen.UUCP (Mike Ewan) writes:
>In article <389@ms3.UUCP> msitd22@ms3.UUCP (Jim Chappell) writes:
>>Our site has a Sytek LAN acting as a front-end (terminal logins)
>>and controlled by a UNIX-based  Network Control Center (NCC).
>>We have an Ungerman-Bass (UB) LAN serving the back-end (file transfers)
>>and controlled by a CP/M-based NCC.
>>
>>We're inteested in moving the UB NCC to the same UNIX box serving the
>>Sytek NCC.
>>
>>Are there any CP/M emulators out there that would allow this?
>>
>We at Tek also have a Sytek LAN and NCC's.  We have also evaluated the
>UB LAN's.
>
>From what I've heard, even if you can find a CP/M emulator for unix, it's
>going to be EXTREMELY slow.  Anyway, the UB software running on the NCC isn't
>going to know where to find it's NIU.  In other words, what you want to do
>won't work.

There is a product called "The Bridge" (sorry, forgot the name of the
supplier) that has a CP/M emulation system.  There were two flavours:
8080/Z80 software emulation, and full hardware support (4 Z80's sitting
on a "peripheral CPU" card).  The latter was pretty fast.  I think that
they had higher speed bitslice Z80 emulator cards in the works.  Then again,
the hardware was unibus (for a VAX).  I saw it running wordstar and
a few other things under VAX 4.1 BSD.  We were going to get them to port
it to a Z8000 UNIX box until our project folded.
--
Chris Lewis,
UUCP: {allegra, linus, ihnp4}!utzoo!mnetor!clewis