[net.unix] Need Hints on Upgrading a Sun/2 to a Sun/3

starner@bigburd.UUCP (05/15/86)

I will soon be upgrading a Sun/2 File server to a Sun/3
File Server using Suns MC68020 upgrade and bringing up
Sun Unix 3.0. At the same time I will be bringing up
Sun Unix 3.0 on the Sun/2 Workstations that will be
running with the upgraded Sun/3 as their File Server.

Since I will be running Sun UNIX 3.0 on all system I
am hoping it will avoid any of the Sun 2.0/Sun 3.0
YP problems and other problems associated with running
mixed versions of Sun Unix.

I would be interested in hearing of any problems or
documentation ambiguities in the installation procedure.
Or any problems encountered with the Hardware upgrade.

Our Sun Salesman said that many sites have done this upgrade
already and suggested that I ask here for any hints.

Please respond directly to me and I will post the responses
to the net.

Thanks

Mark Starner				(215) 648-7382
System Development Corp.
Paoli, PA

{sdcrdcf,sjuvax,bpa,purdue}!burdvax!starner
{cbosgd,ihnp4,akgua}!psuvax1!burdvax!starner

bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) (05/17/86)

>From: starner@bigburd.UUCP
>I will soon be upgrading a Sun/2 File server to a Sun/3
>File Server using Suns MC68020 upgrade and bringing up
>Sun Unix 3.0.
>I would be interested in hearing of any problems or
>documentation ambiguities in the installation procedure.
>Or any problems encountered with the Hardware upgrade.

The hardware upgrade was trivial (I just did exactly all this stuff
last Sunday on our office server and workstations.) Make sure you
have the right allen wrench, the biggest nuisance continues to be the
stupid ethernet connector, it tends to fall out, especially from
workstations (cause they move when they're bumped.) If any workstations
won't boot immediately check the connector, I fell for that *again*
tonight, spent an hour doing wizardly things with rarpd and etherfind
and it was the *#$%& connector on the diskless station...ugh!

To do the SUN3.0 upgrade do a full dump (level 0) and proceed as it
says in the manual, I had no troubles. Before you bring down the SUN2.0
write down the size of all your logical partitions (you'll repartition
the disk so knowing what you need will be handy), your diskless and
server node's IP and Ethernet addresses and names, they'll come in handy
when you run 'setup' which is amusing (Macintosh style click-click-mouse
hits Unix installation!) You really only have to commit to the root
partition in diag as you can readjust (with slide bars and the mouse)
the other partitions from mini-unix.

If you don't do regular backups I would back it up twice but I'm
paranoid (and I do regular backups.) A bad tape block could ruin
your day. After you have SUN3.0 up you just do restores and you're
done (well, you get to put back local hacks, recompile etc tho the
old binaries will work in general.)

There are ways around doing the full backup/restores but I just went
for it so I could repartition things better, besides, it let me catch
up on few newsgroups on another system :-)

	-Barry Shein, Boston University

dieter@zhmti.UUCP (Dieter H. Zebbedies) (05/19/86)

In article <629@bu-cs.UUCP> bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:
>>From: starner@bigburd.UUCP
>>I will soon be upgrading a Sun/2 File server to a Sun/3

>To do the SUN3.0 upgrade do a full dump (level 0) and proceed as it
>says in the manual, I had no troubles. Before you bring down the SUN2.0

>There are ways around doing the full backup/restores but I just went
>for it so I could repartition things better

We just did this last week, and could *not* use setup because of some
idiosyncracies of our configuration.  In particular, we have a
CDC-9771 (825Mb on a Xylogics card) that spins at 2160 rpm instead of
the canonical 3600.  Setup likes to do a "newfs" on / and /usr
partitions, but this defaults to 3600 so we blow revs all the time
without the -r flag...

We ended up just bypassing setup completely and extracting the files
out of the distribution tapes (they are all tar format) and merging
them into the right places.  Worked fine.

One suggestion, though:  When you finish the install, touch a file
".3.0-installed" or something, then merge in your old stuff and
specify the -m flag on tar.  That way you can do a "tar / -newer
.3.0-installed -print" to find the things that have changed since the
install, and it makes the next rev *real easy*.  (Disadvantage is you
munge the create times and this breaks makefiles, etc)

We also tend to mimic the distribution filesystem under /u/local (i.e.
bin, man, lib, src, etc, etc..) and keep the distribution *totally*
virgin.  Links to the right places then are placed in the distribution
to the local equivalents (like /usr/lib/lisp to /u/local/lib/lisp...)

Just some suggestions, hope they help.
  (yes, it is *easy* to get away with not doing a full dump
	when you have to backup 800+Mb's on 1/4" carts :-)
--
Dieter H. Zebbedies ('dee-ter 'zeb-ed-eez)
 Zebb-Hoff Mach. Tool's Automated Manufacturing Project