[net.unix] Speed as an issue

seifert@hammer.UUCP (Snoopy) (05/30/86)

In article <691@bu-cs.UUCP> bzs@bu-cs.UUCP (Barry Shein) writes:

>Now you have me really confused. Ok, I believe that compiled terminfo
>entries are much faster than termcap entries (of course, this goes against
>the grain of current technological trends, on a 750 with 20 users, sure,
>bring it on!, on a SUN/3 workstation? who cares. ok, it was written when
>a 750 was still "a thing".)

>Obviously there has to be something else here than raw speed.

>Why is this discussion centering around speed so much? Is that the only
>issue?

Isn't speed a sufficient issue?  Hey, Unix used to be blindingly fast.
(even with 50 users on a pdp-11!!)  These days forget it, unless you're
the only user on a big mainframe.  Things have slowed done horribly,
because of just this sort of attitiude that the hardware is fast, so
the software can be as slow as we like.  Wrongo!  To get a fast response,
we need *both* hardware and software to be fast.  A system can only be
as fast as it's slowest link.

Snoopy (speed daemon)
tektronix!tekecs!doghouse.TEK!snoopy