[net.unix] Mods to 4.2BSD /lib/cpp for #elif, // comments, posted in mod.sources

arnold@emory.UUCP (Arnold D. Robbins {EUCC}) (05/27/86)

I have just finished mailing a context diff to the mod.sources moderator
containing patches to the 4.2 BSD /lib/cpp. These patches contain

	1) Code from Doug Gwyn of the Ballistics Research Lab to implement
	   the #elif construct found in very recent SV cpp's and in the ANSI
	   C draft standard. This feature is automatic; if you install it
	   as /lib/cpp, you get #elif.

	2) Code written by me to recognize the // ..... \n style of comment
	   used in C++. This requires a new command line option, -B, so as
	   to not break existing C programs. (The -B is reminiscent of the old
	   "B" programming language, C's predecessor, and the source for this
	   style of comment.)  People with C++ who install the new /lib/cpp
	   need to change their CC shell script to add the -B flag to the
	   cpp command line. This should fix a problem mentioned a while back
	   in net.lang.c++ about cpp screwing up // comments that contained
	   macro names.

For all the additions, the indentation "style" pretty much matches that of
cpp.c (terrible). Sorry about that. I don't write that way myself, and
neither does Doug.

Anyway, keep an eye on mod.sources/UNIX-SOURCES@BRL (usenet/arpanet) for the
diff.

Enjoy,
--
Arnold Robbins
CSNET:	arnold@emory	BITNET:	arnold@emoryu1

"All this digital stuff is just a fad. Analog is the way to go."
	-- William M. Robbins, 1984

jpn@teddy.UUCP (John P. Nelson) (06/04/86)

In article <1627@emory.UUCP> arnold@emory.UUCP (Arnold D. Robbins) writes:
>I have just finished mailing a context diff to the mod.sources moderator
>containing patches to the 4.2 BSD /lib/cpp. These patches contain

Sorry, this submission caught us right in the middle of the mod.sources
moderator changeover.  Expect a day or two delay (or perhaps after USENIX
if it doesn't get out before that).

John P. Nelson (EX-mod.sources moderator)