[net.unix] Looking for XNS under UTX

dave@smaug.UUCP (Dave Cornutt) (06/09/86)

Line eater: yes

I would like to hear from anyone who knows of a (preferably) public-domain
implementation of Xerox XNS protocols running under UTX or any BSD4.2-
derived system.  At our site, we have a network of Daisy stations that
are connected using Ethernet.  We would like to connect these to one of
our UTX machines, but unfortunately Daisy chose to use the XNS protocols
instead of TCP/IP (to be incompatible with everyone else, one suspects).
So, we are trying to put together a gateway system to connect Daisy to
the rest of the world.  (We're already aware of Daisy's gateway system,
for which they charge several arms and legs for, and we're looking for
a less expensive alternative.)

Any information will be appreciated.  My addresses are:

UUCP: {...your favorite backbone...}!gould!dcornutt
CELLULOSE MAIL: 1801 NW 66th Ave. building 4
                Plantation, FL
                33313
ARPA: somewhere, over the rainbow...

I might summarize to the net if I feel like it.

Dave Cornutt
Gould Computer Systems
Ft. Lauderdale, FL

"The opinions expressed herein are not necessarily those of my employer,
not necessarily mine, and probably not necessary."

mark@umcp-cs.UUCP (Mark Weiser) (06/12/86)

In article <38@houligan.UUCP> dave@smaug.UUCP (Dave Cornutt) writes:

At maryland we still distribute our old 4.2 XNS implementation.
This pretty much requires a guru to install (although at least 3
non-Maryland places have done it), and I don't recommend it.  What
I recommend is getting 4.3, which is now announced and shipping
from Berkeley and has all the Maryland XNS ideas intact (but often
rewritten).  The 4.3 XNS is in use by lots of places and so is
likely to be reliable.  The 4.2 XNS has not been used by anyone,
not even here,  for about a year and so will have suffered software
rot and no one will remember anything about how it works if there
are problems.
-mark
--
Spoken: Mark Weiser 	ARPA:	mark@maryland	Phone: +1-301-454-7817