[net.unix] Unreliable FTP

ejnorman@uwmacc.UUCP (Eric Norman) (06/14/86)

Anyone know how come it is that FTP sometimes doesn't
do anything when I do a "get file"?  It does the "transfer
complete" bit, but never transfers anything.  I've seen
cases where sometimes you have to try a few times to get
something transferred; other cases where I can't seem to get
one transferred no matter what.  It seems to only happen
on small files (20 lines or so), although I've been able
to transfer tiny (7 byte) files.  It smells like a timing
problem to me.  Could it be that the control connection
ends and shuts down the data connection before it even
starts or something like that?

I've always had to get around this by going to the "other
side" and doing a "put", which I've never seen fail.
--
Eric Norman
UUCP:         ...{allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!ejnorman

"Forest fires prevent bears."		-- bumper sticker
--

guy@sun.UUCP (06/14/86)

> Anyone know how come it is that FTP sometimes doesn't
> do anything when I do a "get file"?  It does the "transfer
> complete" bit, but never transfers anything.  ... It smells like a timing
> problem to me.

Assuming this is the 4.2BSD "ftp", there is a bit of brainrot which could
cause this.  The routine "getreply", after having read a reply code, will
see if more data is available on the control channel.  If so, it will *throw
away* the reply code and read another one.  This tends to confuse the FTP
state machine a bit.  Try getting rid of the "if (expecteof || empty(cin))"
stuff before the reply code is returned.
--
	Guy Harris
	guy@sun.com (or guy@sun.arpa)

chris@umcp-cs.UUCP (06/16/86)

In article <2258@uwmacc.UUCP> ejnorman@uwmacc.UUCP (Eric Norman) writes:
>Anyone know how come it is that FTP sometimes doesn't do anything
>when I do a "get file"? ...  It smells like a timing problem to me.

Right you are; though your detailed explanation is not in fact
correct.  FTP just plain gets confused when it sees multiple

Fixed in 4.3!
--
In-Real-Life: Chris Torek, Univ of MD Comp Sci Dept (+1 301 454 1516)
UUCP:	seismo!umcp-cs!chris