[net.unix] sysV features

mwm@ucbopal.berkeley.edu (Mike Meyer) (06/15/86)

In article <713@wjvax.wjvax.UUCP> brett@wjvax.UUCP (Brett Galloway) writes:
>I am involved in some software development that relies on the 4.2bsd
>select() call, (select() blocks on multiplexed input). As near as I can tell,
>SYSV allows NO way to block on input from more than one file descriptor, short
>of doing a poll loop (yuch!).  Select() is a MAJOR feature missing from SYSV
>(which apparently is part of V8).  If SYSV offered a comparable feature, even
>with a different interface, I would be more than willing to #ifdef my code to
>make it portable to SYSV.  But I can't, because the feature is missing from
>SYSV.

V.3 has a select()-like mechanism. They also have sigpause(), which
solves the standing problem of catching short alarm()'s.

Of course, if you thought the Berklix signal mechanism was bad, wait
'till you see the new Uglix signal call!

	"It's fixed in ?.3",
	<mike

shannon@sun.uucp (Bill Shannon) (06/16/86)

> Of course, if you thought the Berklix signal mechanism was bad, wait
> 'till you see the new Uglix signal call!

The new V.3 signal mechanism is based on the 4.1BSD "libjobs" signal
mechanism.  Berkeley learned from the 4.1BSD mechanism and improved
it in 4.2BSD (and 4.3BSD).  AT&T hasn't learned that much yet.

					Bill Shannon