[net.unix] Can I get an AT w/SCO XENIX to read Altos 586 floppies?

mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) (06/10/86)

Does anyone have a driver or utility that will let me read a floppy made
on an Altos 586 (tar or mount format) on an IBM-AT running the latest version
of SCO's XENIX?

This would save me from transferring 30 Meg of data with Kermit, so I'd be
willing to pay a reasonable price.

The Altos writes DSDD 96tpi disks, so it is theoretically possible.  I'm not
interested in how to go about writing a program to do it.  I want to get a
finished program.

Anybody got one?
--
< < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < < <> > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > > >
Mark D. Freeman                                             mdf@osu-eddie.uucp

randy@chinet.UUCP (randy) (06/10/86)

In article <1927@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>Does anyone have a driver or utility that will let me read a floppy made
>on an Altos 586 (tar or mount format) on an IBM-AT running the latest version
>of SCO's XENIX?

	I routinely  transfer floppies between my Altos 586, 3b2/300 and
AT running SCO Xenix SysV.  The trick on the AT is to use the /dev/fd096ds9
entry.  I use cpio more than tar, but they both work.  A trick on cpio is to
use the B option when writting out the floppy on the Altos/3b2 to read on the
AT.  Also, *always* use the c option on cpio.
Ex:  on Altos--  find /usr/src/sysV -print | cpio -ocB > /dev/fd0
	 on AT   --  cpio -icdB < /dev/fd096ds9

--
.. that's the biz, sweetheart...
Randy Suess

brad@looking.UUCP (Brad Templeton) (06/10/86)

In article <1927@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>Does anyone have a driver or utility that will let me read a floppy made
>on an Altos 586 (tar or mount format) on an IBM-AT running the latest version
>of SCO's XENIX?
>The Altos writes DSDD 96tpi disks, so it is theoretically possible.

If the disks are w~hat I think, it's not only possible, it's very easy.

Xenix's device driver for the floppy can handle any combination of
1 or 2 sides, 40 or 80 tracks, 8, 9 or 15 sectors per track.  They have
devices for all these.  In your case, you want /dev/rfd096ds9 or rfd096ds8
depending on how many sectors per track.

I use the 96ds9 device for all my backup and TAR work.  It's 720K but it
works just fine on cheap floppies, so you don't have to pay 5 times the price
for 1.2 meg ones.

Now, somebody should write a 720K DOS device driver for the AT!

--
Brad Templeton, Looking Glass Software Ltd. - Waterloo, Ontario 519/884-7473

caf@omen.UUCP (06/11/86)

In article <1927@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>Does anyone have a driver or utility that will let me read a floppy made
>on an Altos 586 (tar or mount format) on an IBM-AT running the latest version
>of SCO's XENIX?
>
>This would save me from transferring 30 Meg of data with Kermit, so I'd be
>willing to pay a reasonable price.
>
>The Altos writes DSDD 96tpi disks, so it is theoretically possible.  I'm not
>interested in how to go about writing a program to do it.  I want to get a
>finished program.

Either of the below can be used in an AT in the 1.2 mb drive, and also work
with SCO's format(1) command.

brw-rw-rw-   2 bin      bin        2, 36 Nov 14  1985 fd096ds9
crw-rw-rw-   2 bin      bin        2, 36 Nov 14  1985 rfd096ds9

Here is a shell script I use for formatting and taring 720k floppies.  Much
more cost effective than the overpriced HS diskettes, and in my experience,
no more unreliable.

set -e
format -f -q /dev/E -i 2
tar cfvkb /dev/e 720 20 $@
tar tvf /dev/E
#dd if=/dev/e of=/dev/null bs=5120 count=72

   Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX  ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf   CIS:70715,131
   Author of Professional-YAM communications Tools for PCDOS and Unix
 Omen Technology Inc     17505-V NW Sauvie Island Road Portland OR 97231
Voice: 503-621-3406 TeleGodzilla: 621-3746 300/1200 L.sys entry for omen:
omen Any ACU 1200 1-503-621-3746 se:--se: link ord: Giznoid in:--in: uucp
omen!/usr/spool/uucppublic/FILES lists all uucp-able files, updated hourly

davidsen@steinmetz.UUCP (Davidsen) (06/17/86)

In article <1927@osu-eddie.UUCP> mdf@osu-eddie.UUCP (Mark D. Freeman) writes:
>Does anyone have a driver or utility that will let me read a floppy made
>on an Altos 586 (tar or mount format) on an IBM-AT running the latest version
>of SCO's XENIX?

If the disk is a 96tpi format with 9 sectors/tk or 15/sectors/tk you
should be able to just read it with the proper device. As far as I can
tell you could also read 8 sectors/tk, but I hope nobody uses it. I
have had best luck with cpio disks, using "oBc" options to create and
"iBcdml" to read (yes I know "l" isn't supposed to work with"i", but it
seems to).
--
	-bill davidsen

  ihnp4!seismo!rochester!steinmetz!--\
                                       \
                    unirot ------------->---> crdos1!davidsen
                          chinet ------/
         sixhub ---------------------/        (davidsen@ge-crd.ARPA)

"Stupidity, like virtue, is its own reward"